Mazel Tov me

by La Capra 17 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mazel Tov, La Capra.

• Soledad
    Soledad

mazel tov!

I thought jews didnt accept converts? maybe Im wrong!

• avishai
    avishai

Yup, soledad, they always have.

Mazel tov, Shoshanna! Considering it myself, although, well, as a guy, it might be a bit more difficult!

• tink
    tink

i'll add my mazel tov to the pile!! i seriously considered converting when i first left the JW's. if it weren't for the fact that i don't believe in god anymore i definitely would. i'm still fascinated by judaism. anyway, congratulations, and i'm glad the ceremony was so meaningful to you

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Mazel Tov! So...did ya go the whole Orthodox route? Just curious. I have a lot of respect for Judaism...and attend erev Shabbat services on a fairly regular bases. Usually at a Reform Shul...though the military chaplain here is Orthodox...which makes for an interesting service. How did you come by choosing Judaism? I would convert if it weren't for my opinions of one particular Jew. At any rate...my family celebrates Passover...Channucha...Rosh Hoshanah...and sometimes Yom Kippur.

Enjoy.

• La Capra
    La Capra

The Jewish faith has always accepted converts. I myself worked with two rabbis in my locale, one was reform, the other was conservative. My beit din (court) was presided by three reform rabbis. When I was in my early twenties, I embarked on this process for the first time (just after leaving JWs), and found myself on the phone with an orthodox rabbi. Being young, naive, and very busy with college and starting my career, I only did enough research to know that I could never live an orthodox life. I had already escaped one high control group. I wasn't about to trade it for another. I should have gotten a second opinion right then and there, but I was operating on a basic assumption that ALL jews only considered orthodox conversions to be real. When I reconsidered it last year, I learned I could convert in a reform or conservative tradition, and not feel I was converting to anything but Judaism. The local Chabad boys (cuz one never sees the Chabad "girls") weren't too happy about it, but the conservative congregation has accepted me wholeheartedly as has the local reform congregation (which I consider my home base), so blatantly named up above by a fellow poster. I don't think that it is a coincidence that JWs are drawn to Judaism. I have called the Jehovah's Witnesses a Jewish apologist cult for many years now. There is something innately familiar about it, but oh so much more spiritual, fun, life-affirming and respectful. Aack, I must get back to studying Evidence. Thanks everyone. Shoshana

• Panda
    Panda

Mazel Tov La Capra.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

As we say in Texas: Maze-ul Toff, Shoshana! (My what a beautiful name!)

Congratulations on your conversion. I'm glad that you found your very special path in life, and wish the best of all that life can give!

Country Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit