Lets face it. Baptism is a lie.

by nowawake14 13 Replies latest jw friends

• nowawake14
    nowawake14

I remember when i did. I was in HS when that happened. I wasn't even awake yet. Absolutely in total ignorance. I truly didn't know what I was getting into. How the hell would I fall for that?

Its probably fake anyway, so don't worry about it, guys.😂 Its just that baptism makes you even more accountable to everything. I wonder how in the world I missed that then. Stupid teen brain😲 Well, the past is the past.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

It's not the same for everyone, I know that's a shock for some. I was 16 and knew exactly what it meant for me. I made on conscious decision based on facts. I compared religions and doctrines, I made a thorough investigation and knew what DFing meant. Of course it was fake, all religion is fake as far as I am concerned, but out of all of them this seemed to be it. They really knew how to appeal to psuedo intellectualism and guilt. Bastards.

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

I did it cuz I was expected to, and I was in love with this JW girl in my hall who was part of an uber JW family. (hope for P#ssy rules I guess)

I did feel it was the "truth" but I was mostly motivated by the hopes of getting a girl honestly.
    I put it off till I was 18, and couldn't push it longer. To many questions, and all my friends were JWs. My highschool friends were leaving for college.

• Moster
    Moster

It was 1975 and I didnt want to die young - so I did it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I heard a part of a convention where they intereviewed a young man on the advantages of baptism. He said it meant he could get involved in building projects. I didn’t know you had to be baptised to join those. Plus it seemed like a pretty poor reason to get baptised. I’m sure there must have been more to it than that. I hope. But intriguing that whoever organised the programme thought this would appeal to young people.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    it seemed like a pretty poor reason to get baptised. I’m sure there must have been more to it than that. I hope. Intriguing that whoever organised the programme thought this would appeal to young people

They like to get young people baptised as soon as possible so if they realise it's all a lie and start asking questions they can disfellowship them immediately.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

I got baptized at 17. The pressure to do so was almost tangible. My younger sibling had already gotten baptized and I was being scrutinized by those I loved, both family and friends. I grew up in that hall, and was dearly loved by so many, and I loved them. I was the only boy, in my age group, the oldest boy there, I almost felt like the golden child. I was expected to do great things in service to Jehovah, i.e. get baptized, become a servant, pioneer, go to Bethel. I hated to be a disappointment. I also felt like a disappointment to my parents. It seemed I was getting into trouble constantly, for all sorts of petty things, and my punishments felt pretty extreme. (Not abusive punishments, but any minor infraction resulted in overkill consequences) my parents didn't trust me. Lastly, I wanted to date. I was very interested in girls, but I couldnt pursue any sort of relationship with an acceptable girl, unless I was looked at as spiritually strong. Having a good job was secondary to being spiritually ready to marry, and I wasn't pursuing an education, so by getting the first step outa the way, I was setting my self up to be "available".

I decided that getting baptized was the answer to all of these problems. I truly loved Jehovah, my parents, and the friends at the hall, so what could go wrong? I was prone to fitting in at school, sneaking around a bit, but I wasn't drinking, doing drugs, having sex (though I would do everything but). Ultimately I just wanted trust and respect of my parents. It all came crashing down just over a year later. Should've never gotten baptized. I have always wondered, as witnesses profess to follow christs example, and he, as a perfect man, didnt get baptized until he was in his 30's. How can they accept, endorse, or even require their children to make that sort of commitment, before they're even considered an adult by "worldly" standards? Certainly not fully developed mentally, by scientific and medical standards. Who in their right mind trusts an 18 year old? Most adults wouldn't get in a car with them driving, let alone let an 18-21 yo make a life altering decision for them. Why would you allow a minor to make a life altering, permanently cemented decision, for themselves? As an adult now, I see it as absolutely unacceptable.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

For the record, I might add, I take full responsibility for getting baptized. While I dont think it was a good idea, or that an underage person should be allowed to, or that I was capable of understanding fully, the dedication and lifelong ramifications of what it all meant, I still knew what I was doing, and did it of my own free will. I refuse to blame others for my choices, and I am critical of others who shirk responsibility for their actions, even at a young age.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Incognito how did you know what you were doing? You thought it was the truth and that the leaders spoke for God. How can being fooled into dedicating yourself to serve a publishing/real estate company be seen as acting from free will? I don't understand.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

My mother had me study with this pioneer woman. (not the cook on tv) It was in the mid sixties. She asked me who was going to survive Jehovahs day of anger. Answer: only those in the great crowd. How do you become one? Ans....baptism. I was scared enough to get baptized behind my mom's back. She was mad. So don't give your kids to other people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit