Question from a non-member about birthdays.

by OldBen 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Matty
    Matty

Shoot! That was me by the way - logged in as Spice by mistake!

• Buster
    Buster

Oldben,

One pretty neat point: In spite of how vehemently they avoid b-days today - early JWs (Bible Students as they called themselves) did celebrate birthdays. As a matter fo fact, the founder C.T. Russel, was born on Feb 16. How do I know? Its in the book they published, designed to be used to record individual's birthdays.

I like that fact so much, I bought the book.

• blondie
    blondie

But of course JWs celebrate anniversaries.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Cynicus,

By the same rule, we should not pray. Jesus prayed before he died, and so others. Most pagans pray if they know they are close to death, so it would be a pagan custom. (New Light by Faraon)

• midwest
    midwest

hi oldben

birthdays like all other holiday biblicly right or wrong is the way the borg mantains control of the family

1 st love 2 devide 3 conqure

midwest

• Sassy
    Sassy
    But of course JWs celebrate anniversaries.

exactly. Whenever someone would ask about why we don't celebrate B days, I would try to explain as Mulan listed about the bad things happening during the only times B days were brought up in the bible and of course then say that it was giving importance to 'self'... then they would say, but you celebrate anniversaries right? in many ways how is that so much different?

Well a week from today is my Bday.. It will be the first one I ever celebrate..

• Faraon
    Faraon

OldBen,

I'm curious why Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance.

Jehovah's Witnesses belong to a cult that wants them to be separate from the rest of the world. There is nothing in the bible about not celebrating birthdays, not it says that the Pharaoh's servant or John the baptist died as a result of a birthday celebration. One of the servants was executed, but the other, maybe as a show of magnitude was spared. John's death could have happened at any party.

Yes, indeed, early Christians did not celebrate birthdays, but then again, the earlier ones also were circumcised and offered animal sacrifices to Jehovah.

If we were to keep traditions, it would be Ok for them to venerate the cross, as can be seen in many of the catacombs, but then again, they go to extremes to drive a wedge between their slaves and the rest of the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit