Question from a non-member about birthdays.

by OldBen 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OldBen
    OldBen

I'm curious why Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks in advance.

• Mulan
    Mulan

One of the things they will tell you is that the only time in the Bible when birthdays were mentioned, bad things happened to God's true servants.

Herod's birthday, John the Baptist was beheaded.

Pharaoh's birthday, someone was hung.

So...............bad situations supposedly mean you shouldn't do those things.

Also it is considered creature worship...............and "the day of death is better than the day of birth".

All nonsense.

• mouthy
    mouthy

They say it is giving honor to self.... But they forgot Jobs kids seem to be gathering at the eldest sons house for a feast.... Wonder if it was a birthday bash ( NOOOOO if the WT said it wasnt >>>>>>

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

The stated reason has been covered fairly well. Also, the WT has mentioned that there is no mention in the Bible of Jesus ever celebrating his birthday. And they will discuss the various "pagan" origins of birthday "rituals" like candles on the cake, etc. [Ashtoreth rearing her lovely head, I believe, but you can look it up if you want.]

However, I think there is a more sinister motive behind what they are up to. I think that birthdays promote togetherness with non-cult members and provide a perspective outside the religion, which, since it demands a "whole-souled" demonic concept of service, is a bad idea. Also, any kind of promotion of the individual over the group is a bad thing in a cult.

CZAR

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

From the school brochure. The propoganda that ruled all 13 years of my education:

Birthdays:

Enjoying a feast or a party and generous giving to loved ones are certainly not wrong. (Luke 15:22-25; Acts 20:35) Jehovah?s Witnesses enjoy giving gifts and having good times together throughout the year. However, the only two birthday celebrations mentioned in the Bible involved people who were not true believers. They were a Pharaoh of Egypt and the Roman ruler Herod Antipas, each of whose birthday celebrations had deadly results. (Genesis 40:18-22; Mark 6:21-28) So it is not surprising to see these historical references to the attitude of early Christians toward birthday celebrations:

"The notion of a birthday festival was far from the ideas of the Christians of this period in general."?The History of the Christian Religion and Church, During the Three First Centuries (New York, 1848), by Augustus Neander (translated by Henry John Rose), page 190.

"Of all the holy people in the Scriptures, no one is recorded to have kept a feast or held a great banquet on his birthday. It is only sinners (like Pharaoh and Herod) who make great rejoicings over the day on which they were born into this world below."?The Catholic Encyclopedia (New York, 1911), Volume X, page 709 (quoting Origen Adamantius of the third century).

Additionally, birthday celebrations tend to give excessive importance to an individual, no doubt one reason why early Christians shunned them. (Ecclesiastes 7:1) So you will find that Jehovah?s Witnesses do not share in birthday festivities (the parties, singing, gift giving, and so forth).

From the education brochure

BirthdaysMisunderstandings may even arise with celebrations that appear to have few, if any, religious connections. This is true of birthdays, celebrated in many schools. Although Jehovah?s Witnesses respect the right of others to celebrate birthdays, you are no doubt well aware that they choose not to share in such celebrations. But perhaps you are unaware of the reasons why they and their children have decided not to participate in these celebrations.

Le

livre des religions (The Book of Religions), an encyclopedia widely distributed in France, calls this custom a ritual and lists it among "secular rites." Although considered to be a harmless secular custom today, birthday celebrations are actually rooted in paganism.

The

Encyclopedia Americana (1991 edition) states: "The ancient world of Egypt, Greece, Rome, and Persia celebrated the birthdays of gods, kings, and nobles." Authors Ralph and Adelin Linton reveal the underlying reason for this. In their book The Lore of Birthdays, they write: "Mesopotamia and Egypt, the cradles of civilization, were also the first lands in which men remembered and honoured their birthdays. The keeping of birthday records was important in ancient times principally because a birth date was essential for the casting of a horoscope." This direct connection with astrology is a cause of great concern to any who avoid astrology because of what the Bible says about it.?Isaiah 47:13-15.

Not surprisingly then, we read in The World Book Encyclopedia: "The early Christians did not celebrate His [Christ?s] birth because they considered the celebration of anyone?s birth to be a pagan custom."?Volume 3, page 416.

With the foregoing in mind, Jehovah?s Witnesses choose not to share in birthday festivities. To be sure, the birth of a child is a happy, glorious event. Naturally, all parents rejoice as their children grow and develop with each passing year. Jehovah?s Witnesses also find great joy in demonstrating their love for their family and friends by giving gifts and having good times together. However, in view of the origin of birthday celebrations, they prefer to do so at other times throughout the year.?Luke 15:22-25; Acts 20:35.

From the Require brochure.

4. Birthdays: The only two birthday celebrations spoken of in the Bible were held by persons who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 40:20-22; Mark 6:21, 22, 24-27) The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays. The custom of celebrating birthdays comes from ancient false religions. True Christians give gifts and have good times together at other times during the year.
  • Kenneson
    Kenneson

At least two non pagan birthdays were observed in the Bible. One is that of John the Baptist, where in Luke 1:14 it states: "And you will have joy and great gladness, and many will rejoice over his birth." And the other is of Jesus, where even the angels took note of his birth. See Luke 2:13.

• cynicus
    cynicus

All JW's do celebrate anniversaries. However, in their rather rabbinic view they'd of course have to be wedding-anniversaries. Yet my Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary doesn't make any difference between my wedding anniversary and the anniversary of Shakespeare's birth. All the bollocks about personal glorification is as relevant for a wedding anniversary as for a birthday. Pagan origin, gifts, etc. ditto.

When the point is raised that the bible allegedly doesn't speak favourably about such anniversaries, I always ask the particular dub if (s)he ever prayed in a garden. Usually the somewhat doubtful answer is affirmative, and if not I ask if they would object to praying in a garden, and they never do. Subsequently I point out that their own bible paints a rather negative image about praying in gardens: the apostles fell a asleep, the messiah found himself in one of the most troubled periods of his human life, and ultimately he got very deeply upset by the behavior of praying people in mentioned garden. The broader context of the Gethsemane-story wasn't very happy either, since it all happened just before the messiah got betrayed, an event that lead to his death as a human being. Then I ask the question once more...

(c)

• La Capra
    La Capra

Because you might spend money on someone instead of giving it to the WBTS. Same goes for Christmas. Shoshana

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Cynicus.... great reasoning... I'll remember that with my JW friend. Thanks.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Yes, excellent cynicus - I've been wanting an example like that for quite a while!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit