Article & Documentary on the Divine name

by Blotty 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blotty
    Blotty

Video Documentary and academic article on the divine name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpGXSyIqTc&ab_channel=JohnWyatt

https://www.academia.edu/14029315/The_Name_of_God_Y_eH_oW_aH_Which_is_pronounced_as_it_is_Written_I_Eh_oU_Ah_Simplified_edition?email_work_card=title

This does not prove Gods name was present in the NT, however some points do lead us to that conclusion simply by process of elimination

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do not trust the conclusions and arguments of Gertoux, he is especially at odds with a large number of Scholars, from more than one Field, in his contention that the Exodus, and surrounding events, actually took place. I seem to remember reading somewhere that he believes Eve was a real person ???

The Video is as boring, overblown and inaccurate as any produced by the JW org.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The film was a backdoor WT production. Everyone involved was a JW. It's full of inaccuracies, misdirection and omissions. Comments like that at 8:50 give away the production agenda. "unbiblical worship of Jesus".

Simply said, there is no conspiracy to conceal the tetragramaton.

Interestingly the video identifies the 'Yah' in the Amunhotep III inscription as "Jehovah". Setting aside the leap in pronunciation, the inscription is describing a people and region south of the land of Cannan. This is one of the many lines of evidence supporting the Kennite Hypothesis that posits Yahweh as being worshipped in Edom/Moab as the storm deity there before his cult being imported north to Israel/Judah.

• Blotty
    Blotty

accouple of things:
    I can find this nowhere on JW.org - Gertoux is also not a JW, ALL JW videos that I am aware of only have JWs in them.

The majority is not always correct, that was proven hundreds of years ago.. recent example is of John 1:1, where scholars in the masses now acknowledge that the NWTs rendering is linguistically justifiable (though they may disagree for theological reasons)

While Rolf was a Jehovah's Witness, I would be interested to know when this was made. Rolf (unfortunate for trinitarians) is qualified to make statements on these subjects.

" there is no conspiracy to conceal the tetragramaton." - even though I have my disagreements with the Witnesses, I actually believe them on this.. If this statement was true why is it not used in most translations Hebrew bibles? where every scholar CONFIRMS it appears over 6000+ times? What about the comments made by Benjamin Kedar?
    The law in Lev never said anything about pronouncing the name... just not to attach it to worthless things.
    seems odd..
    The pronunciation and "J in Hebrew" argument also fall flat for reasons that are self evident.
    (see comments by Edgar J Foster/ Greg Stafford)
    Also very convenient that the name required to allow the trinity to thrive when absent is the name that is controversial & ignored

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton according to Gérard Gertoux (jehovahs-witness.com)

I find it funny to say there is a conspiracy to hide the Tetragrammaton then prove this by showing it boldly displayed on countless churches. The topic is much larger than I'm willing to invest in on this post. Suffice it to say the name Yahweh is one of many names of the god in the OT. Many translations use the name. Some of the more famous translations, following the lead of the people who own the book, translate the name into all capital letters as GOD or LORD out of respect. If you have an issue with that, fine, but it's not a conspiracy to hide the name so as to worship Jesus. The WT planted that idea.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

When examining the vowel points of YHWH in the Massoretic tradition one will note one major deviance between the vowels of ’DNY ’adonây and those given to YHWH, namely that the Yôd in YHWH is pointed with a shewa and not a chatef-patach (which looks like a shewa and patach side by side). The reason for this variance is simple: In Hebrew grammar, Yôd at the beginning of a word rarely takes a compound shewa (aka ultra short vowels, e.g. chatef-patach, chatef-segol, and chatef-qamets), in such situations Yôd is usually pointed with a shewa. This system works flawlessly with one minor hitch: when the text is written as ’DNY YHWH (variations of this construction occur about 300x in the text), the reader would be forced to read the awkward phrase, "’adonây ’adonây". To prevent such, the reader would instead read, "’adonây ’elohîm". The pointing of the name YHWH in these circumstances thus reflects vowels of the Qere (what is read, in this case ’elohîm).

This comment from a Hebrew linguist pretty well silences the arguments form the video. The vowel points are not indicative of an ancient pronunciation but an artifact of the vowel pointing of adonai and elohim. These wiki pages also address this: Qere and Ketiv - Wikipedia

Jehovah - Wikipedia

To use the translation or vowel pointing of theophoric names as indicative of the pronunciation of the YHYH is humorously backward. Surely the Masoretes knew they were theophoric names and used the same vowel points.

• Blotty
    Blotty

again.. see Edgar J Foster and Greg Stafford... pretty sure even that very video addresses most of these issues
    and my main "expertise" is in Greek my Hebrew is very weak

its proudly displayed on churches, yet a lot of people don't know it & its not present in modern day bibles where it has been CONFIRMED to be originally.. yes doesn't seem suspicious at all (sarcasm)
    God never said "remove my name from the bible" - even if the law is interpreted as a law not to say it.. + the many other issues that arise

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Unless I missed it...I thought it odd that nowhere in this 'Jehovah Name Documentary' video was no honorable mention made of the individual who invented the name (Jehovah) in the 13th century...Raymundo Martini. Maybe the WTBTS would rather not give too much aire-time to the fact that Raymundo Martini was quite an accomplished Catholic Monk & theologian.

It's interesting knowing that the WT has embraced a hybrid name for God (Jehovah) that has close ties to the Roman Catholic Church! Maybe WT/Jehovah’s Witnesses prefer everyone overlook the fact that they (WT/JWs) haven't really separated themselves from false religion after all but rather pressed to their bosom this Catholic name for God!

Seems like the WTBTS/Jehovah’s Witnesses should be forever indebted & grateful to the RMC!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Sorry...meant to say:

"Seems like the WTBTS/Jehovah’s Witnesses should be forever indebted & grateful to the RCC!"

• Blotty
    Blotty

sort of besides the point...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit