JWs don't consider older WT as revelant

by enoughisenough 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Some people will spread (and believe) theories like that (apostates infiltrated the org and disseminated false info). I never heard that particular one. Where I was, we felt that the info was from the GB and that it was always good. If someone pointed out that older literature had different ideas, I would explain that the GB had received new light since then and updated our understanding, or something similar to that.

The concept of "new light" can paper over a vast amount of bad information and mistaken ideas. It can be used -counterintuitively- to promote the claim that they have God's blessing, by explaining that the older and mistaken belief was the "right one at the right time" and that the new understanding had arrived just when it was needed most.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

We used to get frustrated with people at the door because they won't take one minute to exam their religion. Jdubs have become worse then them

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

vanderhoven7 ...I love your questions...so on point.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is careful in print to say "paid clergy" which implies they have an unpaid clergy. A so-called legal approach quibbling about words by the WTS to CTA (plural of CYA). As to the mediator article in 1989, I always ask, is there some WT info that is more recent that adjusts or clarifies that teaching?

The current Insight book says about Mediator, considered up-to-date info for jws to use for research (also cited in the same place as the 1989 article: "Those for Whom Christ Is Mediator. The apostle Paul declares that there is “one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus, who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all”​—for both Jews and Gentiles. (1Ti 2:5, 6) He mediates the new covenant between God and those taken into the new covenant, the congregation of spiritual Israel. (Heb 8:10-13; 12:24; Eph 5:25-27) Christ became Mediator in order that the ones called “might receive the promise of the everlasting inheritance” (Heb 9:15); he assists, not the angels, but “Abraham’s seed.” (Heb 2:16) He assists those who are to be brought into the new covenant to be ‘adopted’ into Jehovah’s household of spiritual sons; these eventually will be in heaven as Christ’s brothers, becoming a part with him of the seed of Abraham. (Ro 8:15-17, 23-25; Ga 3:29) He has transmitted to them the promised holy spirit, with which spirit they are sealed and are given a token of what is to come, their heavenly inheritance. (2Co 5:5; Eph 1:13, 14) The total number of those who are finally and permanently sealed is revealed in Revelation 7:4-8 as 144,000." And in 2008, the WT says "What does Jesus’ role as Mediator involve? Well, Jehovah applies the value of Jesus’ blood to those being brought into the new covenant. In this way, Jehovah legally credits them with righteousness. (Rom. 3:24; Heb. 9:15) God can then take them into the new covenant with the prospect of their becoming heavenly king-priests! As their Mediator, Jesus assists them in maintaining a clean standing before God.​—Heb. 2:16."

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

blondie, Thanks for more "insight" into the cherry picked twisting of the Bible. ( I am disgusted with myself for not questioning these lies years ago. )

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They no longer consider older WT as ''relevant'', maybe because,,it was never correct.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough
    Beth Sarim....they thought it correct and preached it by disseminating Media ....some have overlooked it when told Jesus isn't their mediator...they will say that he is or that Jesus died for them. If you bring up that the WT teaches for ex. what the questions from readers brought out, that is when you get the old publications or apostate card even though the teaching hasn't changed. You are correct in that it was never correct...so in some people's deep intellect, they know it isn't right...yet they cling to the org. They don't realize how stupid it all sounds.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

By “apostates” , they are probably thinking of the time when Ray Franz was still on the GB and may have had an influence. Now I do not know offhand the date of his departure from Bethel but I would guess that it was prior to 1989.

Still, it is a handy line to fall back on when someone points out an embarrassing quote from the past. Why allow truth to come into your argument ?

• Terry
    Terry

THIS IS LIKELY TO GOBSMACK any JW who even looks at it:

History of OLD LIGHT vs NEW LIGHT

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UrjfNBy6jlZ8lSibVe7VSRgihTxkwqbrLUzIHLGFH-E/edit?usp=sharing

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

The erasing or selective editing of past teachings and documentation is one of the most concerning aspects of the org's history and the pace of it seem to have accelerated in recent decades.

Even Jesus, in establishing Christianity in place of the Jewish system, didn't say: "You know all that Law stuff God gave you on those tablets? Forget it. Never happened".

Or can you imagine the apostle Paul writing a new set of letters to the first century congregations that said: "Er... you know those letters I wrote to you last year? Forget it all, here's some new light. Oh and by the way, you shouldn't even keep any record of my old letters or refer back to them. Just burn them and pretend you never saw them!"

Crazy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit