When did JWs stop reciting the Lord’s Prayer together?

by slimboyfat 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Does anyone know what year?

• vienne
    vienne

Interesting question. I didn't know they ever did that.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

News to me. I’ve read a lot of the Bible Student material pre-1916 and I don’t recall any discussion of it. Probably went the way of the Chatauqua Salute and the Love Feast.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I was taught to say the Lord's prayer as a child, were you SBF?

Have they stopped saying it? Or at least saying it publicly? I do remember being taught that one shouldn't repeat prayer by rote, without thinking about what I was praying like the Catholics do.

I remember as a youngster feeling a bit guilty for praying the Lord's prayer at night because I was too tired to say my "own"😂

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Interesting question. I didn't know they ever did that

Me neither. I learnt to recite it at school but one thing I have learned since exiting the borg so many years ago is that no matter what brand of Christianity people adhere to, the reciting of the Lord’s Prayer unites people.

And that must be a good thing.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

J.W's never did that in my time, I was born in to the "religion" in 1950, and always the reciting of prayers by rote was condemned as wrong based upon Jesus' words.

Was your experience different in the J.W's ? I find that strange if so. Rogue Congregation ?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That's my memory too, Phizzy. I don't recall hearing the Lord's Prayer recited in lieu of a 'proper' prayer at any JW function in the 50's or later.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

My understanding of the religion was that the lords prayer was only a guide as to how one should pray not that IT was not THE the prayer his followers were to use.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Nathan Knorr wrote in a letter in The Watchtower, November 15th 1949, page 351:

“Personally I use modern speech in my private and public prayers to God, and so do the families at Brooklyn Bethel, WBBR, and Gilead, even when praying the Lord’s prayer in unison.”

Fred Franz also testified to this as daily practice at morning worship in his testimony during Moyle v. Franz (1943).

So it would seem the practice continued until 1949 at least. Does anyone know when it was discontinued?

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Back in those days it was called the "Prayer, Praise, and-Testimony Meetings".

In 1923 most of this was removed for field service experiences.

https://www.filemail.com/d/dyevcebnuiawqlj

I am whipping up some rolls if anybody wants some with coffee!
    https://themodernproper.com/coffee-cinnamon-rolls-with-maple-cream-cheese-icing

Cinnamon roll thief!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit