Couldn't the GB have foreseen "spiritual endangerment" taking hold with Internet approval?

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobby2446
    Bobby2446

To the OP

Thats like saying it is, in part, IBMs fault for the spread of child sex abuse because they made it easier for pedophiles to solicit children by inventing the personal computer and putting one in everyone’s home.

The absurd and intellectually lazy depths some of you stoop to so to discredit jws is amazing.

• sir82
    sir82

So what you're saying is, Bethel leadership is a den of morons who can't see past the end of their own noses?

Yeah, I'll buy that.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Bobby and sir82, for sharing your thoughts.

Some things there that I hadn't considered. I must admit that I'm somewhat influenced by having been at Bethel when there had been a tsunami of sexual activity. The aftermath -- the verbal tirades by NHK -- were horrifying. Such a different spirit from what the video portrays.

THANKS!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think this was a battle they were never going to win. They could no more have stopped the tide of easy internet access via cell phones and tablets than they could have stopped people from having television sets fifty years ago. The technology is just too seductive and easy to obtain and so many people need it for their jobs or businesses. They knew this and developed their web site content in an attempt to control and direct what people were doing with those phones and tablets, but they were never going to be completely successful at that.

• compound complex
    compound complex

To reiterate a point earlier made:

In the past, we faithful Witnesses were admonished to give up, destroy, sacrifice anything or anybody that stood between us and our relationship with Jehovah. As a musician, it was difficult to give up Christmas as well as many pop songs (of all songs, some by The 5th Dimension); I left the music conservatory that had become my new home and haven; I sacrificed friends and family so as not to be divided between my loyalties. Ardent JW friends and families did Fahrenheit 451. Burning books -- I couldn't.

I must have been way over the top to have not let anything interpose itself between me and my God.

• compound complex
    compound complex

They knew this and developed their web site content in an attempt to control and direct what people were doing with those phones and tablets, but they were never going to be completely successful at that. -- LisaRose

Thank you for so clearly stating the obviously inevitable.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed
    Thats like saying it is, in part, IBMs fault for the spread of child sex abuse because they made it easier for pedophiles to solicit children by inventing the personal computer and putting one in everyone’s home.

The absurd and intellectually lazy depths some of you stoop to so to discredit jws is amazing. bobby2446

How very interesting that you used such an extreme example. And it has to do with pedophiles too. This must be on your mind because no one else is talking about it here.

The subject is just whether or not the GB assessed the danger of the internet in regards to spiritual health. As LisaRose said, they probably knew that they couldn't stem the tide so to speak and hoped that their website and their position would keep things under control.

Really, you should have been more careful when you read the topic.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Something else the GB didn't foresee nor have they mentioned much in talks or any publications is the 'endangerment' and/or ability for the rank and file to surf the web in 'incognito' mode. It's an ideal way for hubby or wifey, for that matter, to view/visit very spicey and juicy sites with no one being the wiser...and with the very same device appear to be doing nothing but theocratic studying.

,,,,and WT thought they had moral based problems in the congregations before the age of the internet...Ha!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Isn't it obvious that what the Society considers such a serious problem is, in part, their fault for requiring JWs to have tablets and smartphones?"

Sure , it is obvious to us ... my uber - dub old-fashioned wife has been saying the same thing for years. The trouble at Brooklyn, now War-wick, is that they see everything in $$$$$. I also suspect that the old guys have been sweet talked by the smart young tech bro.s into things which have unintended consequences.

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

At least the tablets will serve to get rid of those cumbersome magazines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit