Couldn't the GB have foreseen "spiritual endangerment" taking hold with Internet approval?

by compound complex 20 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

Having listened to the two GB helpers (and Cedar's interspersed commentary), I was somewhat taken aback at the comments on the widespread availability of smartphones and such at Bethel. Of course, in the congregations, too. Br. Breaux's mention of taking a phone into a bathroom stall, innocently clicking onto an image, and . . . seemed all too, I can't think of how to put it. Too casual, like it's understood ALL Witnesses have easy availability to the 'Net. "Gee, a thumbnail of a racy photo accidentally came up on my page. Of course, I won't click on!"

And then there's sexting.

In the old days, enticing and provocative images were hardly so accessible, that is, come by easily and viewed in private. You had to rent an R- or X-rated movie or buy a "man's" magazine. So very public. Now, with WT sanction of the Internet (primarily for JW.ORG and innocent research), isn't it obvious that what the Society considers such a serious problem is, in part, their fault for requiring JWs to have tablets and smartphones?

I really wonder the extent of "unholy" thought and behavior currently at Bethel. And here the brothers appeal not to let Satan take hold.

Your comments are welcomed.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I think were it not for rising printing costs combined with dwindling contributions, along with lawsuits, they would still be condemning the internet and using physical publications. It's a necessary evil for them.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, neat blue dog, for that true assessment of what really seems to matter: the bottom line.

Well put.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

BTW I look forward to seeing the pillowgate videos as I've only seen the two minute trailer. Did you see the rebuttal video or are the actual videos out there yet?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, neat blue dog, I saw the rebuttal video.

That was the above-mentioned video, with intercut commentary by Cedars. Before it appeared, I had already seen the official WT video.

THANKS.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Before they approved the internet - they had the picture in the WT of the snake (satan) and the internet plug being one and the same. Now they are kissing the snake and wondering why it bit them.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Have they EVER foreseen anything CoCo ? Lets face it their interpretations of prophecy which are many over the years have never come to fruition so it figures they didn`t foresee the internet as a problem for them.

I think they over estimated the control they have on their flock especially the younger generation and conversely under estimated just how the younger generation are so tuned in to "new" technology along with their natural curiosity to question things especially what the older generations try to tell them.

Think of teenagers who rebel against the rules and restrictions parents put on them it`s human nature .

the Society considers such a serious problem is, in part, their fault for requiring JW`s to have tablets and smartphones?

Maybe that`s the reason sites like this are seeing such an influx of newbies everyday .

Thank you Watchtower/GB for giving them an escape mechanism

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NEAT BLUE DOG:

I also agree with your assessment.

The JW religion begrudgingly accepted the internet because it had no choice. Otherwise, they’d still be going on and on about how ‘demonized’ it is.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If they were truly led by the Holy Spirit as they have claimed so many times, they would get things right.

They seem to bumble around in a fog, and the moves they do make that are at least semi-effective are copied from the Mormons.

Quite pathetic.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Now they are kissing the snake and wondering why it bit them. -- days of future passed

Excellent reference to the Sparlock video. What a turnaround!

the Society considers such a serious problem is, in part, their fault for requiring JW`s to have tablets and smartphones?

Maybe that`s the reason sites like this are seeing such an influx of newbies everyday . -- smiddy

I agree, the Society overestimating their control over the flock. It used to be counsel to stay as close to the center of the pen as possible, not straying toward the edges. Temptation has never been so easy and available. Yes, when did they get anything right. Good points.

The JW religion begrudgingly accepted the internet because it had no choice. Otherwise, they’d still be going on and on about how ‘demonized’ it is. -- LongHairGal

You nailed it! And yet, on other picayune matters, they'll insist on absolute adherence to some arcane scripture as support for a modern-day stand and let their people die in upholding it. The gnat and the camel . . .

If they were truly led by the Holy Spirit as they have claimed so many times, they would get things right. -- Phizzy

Nothing to add here!

THANKS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit