What have you replaced religion with?

by logansrun 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis
    Yeah, my mom told me there were women like you out there. Your nasty.

god bless the Americas! Sincerely, District Overbeer

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    SEX-Raw, uninhibited, dirty, scandalous, fornication of all deviant sorts.

I like your thinking. Will

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

South Park, Final Fantasy, and 2872 posts on JWD.

• fran
    fran

the real truth,.............look around beautiful sunsets,flowers,creation,the seasons,fields of colour,animal life,the ocean,

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

logansrun:

Abaddon....I think it's rather simplistic and unfair to compare "religion" with "Santa Claus." People build their lives and hopes around some religions; I have yet to see anyone dedicate themselves to S.C. It's just not a fair comparison, even though a religion might be as mythical as Santa and his elves.

Simplistic; yes, although the fervour children can show towards Santa (letters, prayers, etc..) is identical to that shown by believers in gods, the 'backstory' of god is more complex.

Unfair; how so? If god and Santa are both mythical, how is comparing them unfair? If dog and cats are both mammals, how is a comment by someone comparing them on the basis of their 'biology' unfair - even if there are some people who would be offended by comparing lovely little kitten-wittens to great dirty dogs because they spend their lives caring for cats?

If Santa Claus and god are both mythical (i.e., if their 'biology' is the same), then the relative degree of the belief's importance to the believers is a seperate issue to a comment regarding the lack of any need for a replacement of a mythical figure by an atheistic third party.

I was stating my opinion, which is what you wanted. You might not agree, but explain unfair, as it seems illogical unless you mean something other than 'unfair to those with an invested belief'.

I also believe it is important for people to have a sense of meaning and purpose in their lives. This might not be a divine purpose or a priori meaning but it could be necessary for emotional and mental well being. I'm 99.9% atheist and yet I confess that scientific studies reporting the psychological benefits of religious belief are convincing. I'm simply looking for more rational alternatives.

Not something that I'd disagree with (sense of meaning and purpose... although I prefer a sense of dolphins myself). I don't find the studies you refer to convincing; all they do is say people who feel their life has structure and purpose and meaning are happier, which we can basically figure out without studies!

I've not seen one which compares active humanists with active Christians, for example, which might go some way to proving any potential benefit a religion has over a non-religious organisation which promotes structured meaningful lives.

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

Gumby-Nasty? Maybe sometimes.... especially when I am asked ot be, but I have never gotten COAL for Christmas! LOLOLOLOL-How do YOU spell relief? I spell it; O-R-G-A-S-M.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Abaddon,

First off, I asked what have you replaced religion with, not "God." Religion and the hypothetical Man Upstairs generally go hand-in-hand (although not always). Objectively, it may be fair to compare the God Hypothesis with the Santa Hypothesis, although I personally don't believe it is. For instance, we have negative proof of Santa's existence: ie, parents stealthily placing gifts for their children late at night. We are also talking about the finite realm of the planet earth compared to the infinite reaches of space and, possibly, other dimensions. The comparison would seem simplistic because there are very complicated theories regarding a hypothetical God, unlike Santa. (Of course, none of these theories are very convincing. There also are some very simple objections to theism which are quite damning.)

Even if it were objectively appropriate to compare God and Santa (or Nessie, the tooth-fairy, Bigfoot, etc.) I don't think it would be subjectively reasonable to do so based on people's emotions and ingrained thought patters. People believe pretty strongly -- I once did, and I only assume you did too. Generally those who lose their faith in myths after being a strong believer in them -- to the point of building a lifestyle around them -- must fill this emptiness with other elements of life which ease the soul, excite the mind and senses and captivate our interests.

Ah shit, we're quibbling again.

Bradley (who, for the record, does not believe in Santa or God....yet does believe in the mermaids, how weird is that?)

• logansrun
    logansrun

Oh, btw....I agree the studies showing increased health and wellness correlating with religiosity are not the full picture by any means. One problem very evident is that the religious people being studied generally have a very intense social life due to church meetings, events, etc. So, is it the friendships which ameliorate their health or is it their wacky beliefs?

The fact is that people who are intensely involved in meaningful activities and have a generous amount of friendships feel better and live longer. For most, this means being religious. But not for all, hence.....this topic

B.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Spirituality... or ballroom dancing...hehehe!!!

ESTEE

• NukePoet
    NukePoet

I have found both comfort and fulfillment in sharing love and insight with my fellow man. nothing more is needed in my opinion. Just by treating everyone with whom you meet with kindness and respect this earth shall rise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit