Christmas "Rules" aka traditions

by simplesally 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    This may sound really dumb, but what is the thing with Christmas stockings? Who puts things in them? Anyone who wants to do it, or what?

One of the older traditions of Christmas (before it became consumer driven) was that Santa filled the stockings. Presents if you were good and a lump of coal if you were 'naughty'. A hundred years ago, children would be lucky to get some candy, nuts and fresh fruit, like an orange, which was relatively expensive in December. Also, tops and dolls would fit in the stocking and other small toys. Hanging stockings has been more of a tradition that has been carried on and now smaller gifts are stuff inside in addition to the presents under the tree. When I was a kid (in the 50's and 60's) we knew that Santa took care of the stockings and we hung one for every family member so that he would know who was home. Today, it's more for decoration, unless there are little kids around.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

One other thing.... if there are kids around, it is almost 'mandatory' to leave a couple of cookies and milk or hot chocolate for Santa just before you go to bed. I still can remember being 4 or 5 and simply amazed at the half drunk cup of chocolate and the empty cookie plate as I woke up on Christmas morning. All I could think about was that Santa had really been in my house and had eaten my cookies.... it was simply 'magical'.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Double Edge,

I remember running in to the living room to see if Santa and his reindeer had been there. I couldn't believe he didn't eat all the cookies one year, Mom said he was on a diet. (I suppose my Dad must've been the one on the diet)

• Mulan
    Mulan

Princess and her husband always have the kids leave cookies for Santa (Zoe bakes them in her Easy Bake oven) and a carrot for Rudolf. After the kids go to bed, they put pieces of the carrot in the driveway, so the kids will see that Rudolf got his carrot, and left the stem end. I love the tradition of it all.

Reindeer 2

• Sirona
    Sirona

We used to leave Father Christmas some Sherry (not milk!) he needs something to warm him up on such a cold night!

Mum used to say that Father Christmas had special magic sand, so if you stayed up to see him, he would throw the magic sand in your eyes and you'd forget you ever saw him.

We would open one present on Christmas Eve and the rest in the morning.

We'd have the usual christmas pudding and we had to light it and turn out all the lights to see it burn (pretty lame really...).

We all had xmas stockings, even the dog!

Our tree was always real but it always lost all of its pineneedles....my tree last year was real and thanks to modern technology or whatever it only dropped about 2 needles the whole time!

Sirona

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Ah, the memories and smells of Christmas past. Our family celebrated Christmas until I was 12 yrs old and it evokes so much happiness, I think I am about to cry.

My grandma (moms mom) was the best and most loving person in the world. We would put up a tree in her front room and it stood from floor to ceiling, just leaving enough for a angel. The family decorated it with such love and lots of fun, bulbs and bobs and tinsel and garlands and lights, Many of the ornaments belonged to my great grandmother who was pure Victorian and that is how our Christmas' were. We all had stockings hung with goodies and fruits. The house echoed with Christmas Carols.

At midnight Christmas eve we would go to Church to see the Christmas pageant and then partake of wine and bread. We were blessed and then departed to home. Where the ordors of pumkin pies and baked goodies and hot cider bekoned you through the doors. All would sit around the TV set and watch the Christmas Carol, the 1951 version and the best in my opinion. Grandma would make hot tea , egg nog and hot apple cider. And cookies that would melt in your mouth. After a late evening we were rushed off to bed, only to awaken in the wee hours of the morning hoping to see yes St Nick himself. We always missed him, but we knew he had been there as the cookies and milk were all gone. I could here Grandma say go back to bed its to early to open the presents. So with a sigh I would go back to bed, hardly able to sleep knowing that in a short time we would open our gifts.

Now it was Christmas morning and all you could here was Christmas carols and the ripping and tearing to Christmas paper. Trying not to make a mess on Grandma's house. It was aglow our Grandma's home. As us kids played with our new toys Grandma was busy as a beaver in the kitchen getting the big turkey bird in the oven. Peeling potatoes and every now and then she would check on us to see the glee on our faces. Mom and grandma and aunts busy in the kitchen and the smells would put you in heaven itself.

All day long relatives would come to grandmas house with presents in hand and drink a glass of good Cheer. Oh yes they were the days . Today Grandma has long since passed and she never knew that I left that awlful organiztion. If only I had one more Christmas with her I know her heart would be ever happy and glad. She always hated the JW and my mom and dad for what they did to us kids. But alas that is another story for another day.

So as this day ends may peace and love, may you all have a very Merry Christmas. And may God Bless.

love Orangefatcat Terry

• missylissy
    missylissy

my family has lots of traditions. My grampie used to read the nite before christmas every christmas eve, at the same time. It's not the same now since he' s gone. but, now my dad does it, even tho this year my brother 14, and im 15, we're still planning on doing it, because, thats how its always been.

Every christmas eve, we also get to open ONE present, and one present only. the rest waits til the morning, when me and mike are usually up by 6:30 (at the latest) and dad will make us sit in the kitchen, until its impossible to stand waiting any longer then we get to open presents. and then every nite for supper, we go to dads parents house and opens more presents.

Before christmas traditions are important too. Me and Mike always go with dad to pick out the christmas trees....mom never goes too, because they fight over which is better. she said to me the other day "if ur father and i picked out xmas trees together every year, we'd be divorced"

Me mom and Mike always put decorations up the last weekend in november, or the first weekend in decmeber. but this year, me and Smyler did it. and we usually get our tree the weekend before the 12th, and then put it up the next weekend around my brothers birthday. We always do that with mom. She always puts the lights on, then lets mike and i do the decorating. and we ALWAYS listen to christmas music while we do it.

Oh yeah! and i almost forgot! the most important christmas tradition that we have...is we always used to to get a call from santa, even when i found out he wasnt real, someone still called pretending to be them. Grampie always did that before he died (it was realyl hard to find out it was him) but he used to do it for my mom and her brother, and even people on my dads side of the family after thery got married. Now dad does it for my little cousin, and she really thinks its santa! its soo much fun!!

sorry for making this so long! but i love christmas so much!! only 24 more days!

-missy

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

sending this bttt because so many of us are tradition deprived

• LDH
    LDH

good one....

My 15 year old likes to get a strip of AA batteries in her stocking. Now I suppose the little one will want that too....Also my husband fills her stocking with dark chocolates from Trader Joe's or something. The little guy gets a new fancy toothbrush with his candy.

I've been celebrating for about 10 years so I guess it's old hat now.....little by little the presents appear under the tree...but with no names on them!!!!! (Trust me, you have to be organized to do this.) The teen is so *angsty* over the presents, especially since she doesn't even know which ones are hers.

For the past two years, she takes the little one to bed with her because she can't take the anticipation any more and has to put herself to sleep....which is a good thing considering she wakes little man up at 5 and comes and wakes us in order to open gifts. When both are asleep, we label all of the gifts and also bring out the hidden ones....

We are usually opening by 6. One thing my 15 y.o. girl does.....After every gift she opens, she thanks us both and spends time looking at it and talking about it. She started doing this on her own at the age of 5 when we began celebrating. I think it's because she was astounded by it, never having Christmas before. The tradition has continued, and she is teaching the little one. There is never anything but gratitude displayed. No tearing open of packages, no complaining, just appreciation.

I'm usually in the kitchen by 7 and 'dinner' is ready by noon. Just family time.

• twinflame
    twinflame

We assign each person someone to buy new jammies for. Christmas Eve we all get to open those.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit