Christmas "Rules" aka traditions

by simplesally 21 Replies latest jw friends

• simplesally
    simplesally

Mulan said:

Dave had celebrated Christmas until he was 15 so informed me we had to play Christmas music while decorating the tree. It definitely changed the atmosphere. I will post photos when they are developed.

So this got me thinking: what traditions, what "must-do's" does your family have?

For my family:

• when we hung the tree we all decorated it and where-ever the person hung the ornament, that's where it stayed. And we only hung one ornament at a time. Each person took a turn and everyone had to admire where the ornament hung. (even if baby brother hung it too close to another one!!).
    • we were only allowed to open ONE present on Christmas Eve. All the rest had to wait until Christmas morning.
  • simplesally
    simplesally

Nobody has any family traditions?????

• copsec
    copsec

My husband's family gets together on Christmas Morning for their breakfast of Biscuits with Choclate Gravy. They HAVE to have it at Christmas Breakfast or their devestated

• lastcall
    lastcall

Isn't that sad ...I guess we are still building traditions.

To call something a tradition, it probably has to happen for a few years.

In the org we had none....man that makes me sad.

But I can say that I'll be making some damn good shrimp cocktail this Christmas Eve. That is something I've been doing all the way back since Christmas 2002! Oh and I'll be drinking Guiness with it.

That tradition goes back a little longer.

LC

• Mulan
    Mulan

This may sound really dumb, but what is the thing with Christmas stockings? Who puts things in them? Anyone who wants to do it, or what?

I am so Christmas challenged.

We started out only buying gifts for our grandchildren. Then a few friends. Now it's the whole family and then some. Funny how it evolves.

• morty
    morty

We make cookies while hanging the ornaments for x-mas....everyone has a cookie decorated the way they want, and eat them x-mas eve

morty

• simplesally
    simplesally

Mulan,

My mom just made me a new stocking. When I became a JW, I had gotten rid of the one I had had since I was 3 or 4 years old. So, my mom made one for me and one for Teryn. It should be coming in the mail real soon.

The stocking is to put little gifts or silly gifts in it..... For Teryn, that's where I will put her Xmas candy and a candy cane and maybe a small stuffed animal.

The stockings look cute if you have your name on it or your favorite animal or whatever stitched on to it.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think they are great, but who is supposed to put things in the stocking? Just the parents, or can anyone do it?

• anglise
    anglise

I think the stocking can either be put at the end of the bed for a young child on xmas eve and the "santa" fills it up whilst they are asleep.

Alternatively it is hung up by the fireplace in the sitting room. Then you can also leave some milk and biscuits for santa and his reindeer as refreshments. Off course you musnt forget that he has to come down the chimney.

These stockings will only be filled if the child has been good LOL.

Anglise

• Sassy
    Sassy

I am trying to think if I can remember any traditions my dad's family had who were not witnesses. Before my grandma died, they all got together on Xmas eve. All my aunts and uncles and cousins would come. I guess they did it Xmas eve so Xmas day could be used to just be home with your own family or spend with the other spouses family. Sadly what I remember most about Xmas time tradition was my dad getting drunk every year. He hated that mom and us kids didn't celebrate so he always drank heavy around the holidays.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit