marriage = jw + jw

by HapEMelissa 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

HapEMelissa,

You must weren't searching with the right info, "marry in the Lord." A search on www.watchtower.org reveals:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/w/1998/9/15/article_01.htm

This places a test on Christian households. In the name of custom, some family heads allow unbelieving relatives to extort a high bride-price. This has sometimes led to the marriage of a Christian girl to an unbeliever. That is contrary to the admonition that Christians should marry "only in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 7:39)

Blondie

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

"and do you regret your choice in a spouse? i mean, due to the religious barrier?"

I have no regrets. I am no longer a JW so there is no religious barrier. During the frist 2 years of my marrige I continued to attend meetings so although I never let the JW's Interfere with my marrige even though they tried. I was constantly reminded that I was married to an 'unbeliever' and that he would die in armageddon. I was told that he would try his hardest to keep me from serving Jehovah and that the marrige would never last becuase Jehovah was not in our marrige. I was encouraged to never have children because they would not have a spiritual upbringing. This did nothing but dicourage me. I started my fade, and made my final break last year.

If you are considering marrying a non-JW, do not expect him to convert, because most likely he will not. It will be hard if you want to continue to be an active JW because the congregtion will try thier hardest to turn you against your husband.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am a Christian (in the regular sense) married to a JW. Throughout our engagement I was treated as a "shameful thing" to be hidden away in secret. There were no JW's at my wedding aside from my husband. The elders have described my honey's marriage against their advice as a "betrayal of Jehovah". Also, my honey has been demoted for this "sin". After the KH became reconciled to our marriage, I have become a target for their preaching work.

Does the WTS condone "mixed" marriages? I think not! Is it easy married to a JW? Not really! It works best when the two of us show patience and respect for each other's differing beliefs. It is worst when religion is used as a wedge separating us, where our mutual and sincere love for God should be drawing us closer together.

Something else to consider, is, who do you go to for help when things get rough? I would never go to an elder for marriage advice, not after the last round of "counsel" my honey received. My honey would never step inside a church.

Here is the latest article on the subject:

?Do Not Become Unevenly Yoked?
    Back cover, Watchtower October 15, 2003

AS YOU can see there, the camel and the bull that are plowing together look very uncomfortable. The yoke linking them together - intended for two animals of similar size and strength - makes both beasts suffer. Concerned about the welfare of such draft animals, God told the Israelites: ?You must not plow with a bull and an ass together.? (Deuteronomy 22:10) The same principle would apply to a bull and a camel.

Normally, a farmer would not impose such a hardship on his animals. But if he did not have two bulls, he might yoke together two animals he had available. Apparently, this is what the 19th-century farmer in the illustration decided to do. Because of the difference in their size and weight, the weaker animal would have to struggle to keep up the pace, and the stronger would have a greater burden to bear.

The apostle Paul used the illustration of an uneven yoking to teach us an important lesson. ?Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers,? he wrote. ?For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness?? (2 Corinthians 6:14) How could a Christian become unevenly yoked?

One way would be if a Christian chose a marriage mate who did not share his or her beliefs. Such a union would prove uncomfortable for both parties, the couple disagreeing on fundamental issues.

When Jehovah originated marriage, he gave the wife the role of ?a complement? or ?counterpart? (Genesis 2:18, footnote) Likewise, through the prophet Malachi, God referred to a wife as a ?partner.? (Malachi 2:14) Our Creator wants married couples to pull together in the same spiritual direction, sharing the burdens and reaping the benefits equitably.

By marring ?only in the Lord,? a Christian shows respect for our heavenly Father?s counsel. (1 Corinthians 7:39) This lays a foundation for a united marriage, which can bring praise and honor to God and both spouses serve him as ?genuine yokefellows? in a special sense. - Philippians 4:3

• Sassy
    Sassy

they sure put the pressure on you to obey in the "LITTLE THINGS" and include marrying "only in the Lord" as one of those things. When someone doesn't obey in that way, they can receive a good shunning/or marking for doing things their way, rather than "Jehovah's" way i.e. JW's way.

• blondie
    blondie

I should add that at last year's circuit assembly, the district overseer said that marrying a non-JW was like marrying a corpse. The reason for that is that the Watchtower Society teaches that only Jehovah's witnesses will survive the destruction of the wicked in the near future. So non-JWs are as good as dead, corpses. He said, "Imagine kissing a corpse."

Blondie

• JT
    JT
    So even though you will not be officially DF'd you will be treated as such.

AND THIS IS THE BOTTOM LINE TO KEEP IN MIND+

• blondie
    blondie

I keep remembering things.==Blondie

Jehovah's Witnesses use Deuteronomy 7:1-3 to base their prohibition of marrying non-JWs.

Deuteronomy 7:1-3 (NWT)

7 "When Jehovah your God at last brings you into the land to which you are going so as to take possession of it, he must also clear away populous nations from before you, the Hit´tites and the Gir´ga·shites and the Am´or·ites and the Ca´naan·ites and the Per´iz·zites and the Hi´vites and the Jeb´u·sites, seven nations more populous and mighty than you are. 2 And Jehovah your God will certainly abandon them to you, and you must defeat them. You should without fail devote them to destruction. You must conclude no covenant with them nor show them any favor. 3 And you must form no marriage alliance with them. Your daughter you must not give to his son, and his daughter you must not take for your son.

This is telling the Israelites not to intermarry with the 7 Canaanite tribes listed there.

But in Deuteronomy 21:10-14, Israelite men could marry non-Israelite women.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14

"In case you go out to the battle against your enemies and Jehovah your God has given them into your hand and you have carried them away captive; 11 and you have seen among the captives a woman beautiful in form, and you have got attached to her and taken her for your wife, 12 you must then bring her into the midst of your house. She must now shave her head and attend to her nails, 13 and remove the mantle of her captivity from off her and dwell in your house and weep for her father and her mother a whole lunar month; and after that you should have relations with her, and you must take possession of her as your bride, and she must become your wife. 14 And it must occur that if you have found no delight in her, you must then send her away, agreeably to her own soul; but you must by no means sell her for money. You must not deal tyrannically with her after you have humiliated her.
  • dothemath
    dothemath

Just a note on the way this is handled in this country.........standard to have a "marking talk" regarding the individual..........strongly emphasized also is for no-one in the cong. to attend the wedding.

If a servant was to attend- he would be automatically deleted from that position.

It also seems that it's very unclear as to when (if ever) this "marking" is to end.

I recall several instances where the person would have been better off disfellowshipped.......and eventually re-instated rather than being essentially treated the same by marking, and having it go on indefinitely.

It seems to have been re-emphasized more frequently in the last couple of years, also, whether regular meeting parts, or at assemblies.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

A friend of mine was disfellowshipped for marrying an unbaptized man who was studying. The elders felt his divorce was not for the right reasons and despite this happening before he was contacted by JWs it was enough to get his JW wife disfellowshipped.

It was not the best start to her wedding.

Thirdson

• midwest
    midwest

hi hapemelissa

welcome abors i would move ahead slowly if you dont or arnt willing to convert and acept their customs there will be many problems , also if you plan on having children they will expect them to be jw . resurch the jw and watch tower lives and families are destroyed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit