Jehovah`s Witness Elders who were Business men in The Congregations I Attended.

by smiddy3 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

A number of topics have covered work experiences by members who have encountered crticism for having a full time job .In the last few congregations I had attended this was never an issue as Elders had businesses they owned and employed brothers and sisters .

While I personally never worked for a JW, both my young sons did at one time or another and my wife did also .I have always worked full time in secular employment and have never been criticised for doing so .And to my knowledge nobody else ever had that experience.

In the first Cong.I attended An PO as they were called at the time was an Insurance Agent and his Bro. was an assistant PO also worked with the same Ins,agency.

Other Congs,I attended one Elder was an owner of a Cabinet making Firm while about 3 other different Elders were self employed builders who ran their own business and employed others to work for them .

At the same time a couple of MS servants had their own plastering Business going on supporting these Elders business.

So I`m just wondering whether this is just depending on where you are from in the world and what time period we are talking about.

The time i`m talking about was in the sixties and seventies and the area was in S.E. Qld. Australia.

I`m sorry for those who had to put up with this discrimination in what we beleived was the "Struth".

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Yea different parts of the world have different views but there are always exciting the rules

some congs frown on working full time, owning a house taking out a mortgage, getting further education and getting high paying careers

Yet all these things are being done by elders and prominent ones all the time

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

It occurred to me, that some likely started whatever business so they could have more say over their time-therefore, clearing up time for service. I personally started a little-stayed little- business because it paid me better than minimum wage but not welfare. Mr x worked with me part time. It freed him ...he could aux pioneer and go to all the hall builds -be just a good-ole-boy and come home and rage at me if we didn't have enough money. So I am thinking some started a business so as to preach more and it just grew to the point of employees. I hired a sister once ( part time ) while I was starting out. I was never good enough for her. One day while we were working, she told me I needed to get my priorities straignt. (decode: you are too materialistic and not spiritual )( note: I couldn't afford to keep her hired, but because she depended on the work, I put before myself) I knew where she was going with me not having my priorities straight so I fed it: " Yes, I do. I am going to work hard and get this business off the ground and make lots of money"

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

When I was younger I worked for an elder. What a cheap azz prick. I wanted to have some days off to go to class and I had to drop the classes for him being an azzhat. But a fellow elder son could go to class. But here is something great. I own bakeries, a machine shop. A real estate office in and live in a Villa in Italy. Myself and family did well since we faded.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I am still listening to In Search of Christian Freedom by raymond Franz...He has written about brothers in business And Like Foolednomore,he was writing about brothers who didn't treat their employees welll...but it worked both ways because in some instances the employees who were JW weren't as productive and caused more issues. I think both parties have a right to expect to be treated fairly-because they are Christian, right! It is almost laughable.

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

I once met a brother who had 30 minute national infomercials in the 80,s and 90,s who made millions and lost millions. Later went on to buy an upscale winery, which I think he still operates today.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

In one of my businesses I have three Jw's. Two MS and one Elder. I must say the Two MS's work hard. The Elder on the other hand always goes home early or behind on his tasks. He gives his work to the MS's which is not their job. I have talked to this guy till am blue in the face. And this is an elder.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

foolednomore, if you can afford to, give the MS's a raise and not the elder --and go ahead and cut his hours as he goes home early. Mom always said those who don't listen have to feel...I bet he would get the message!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Enough is enough- I like to fire him. But at this point I don't have enough grounds to do so legally. I'm seeking to replace him with a non Jw when the time comes. I pretty much have had it with his nonsense.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Both my wife and I were workers and while we are not what you would call wealthy we do own our own home and live a comfortable life .

Maybe we planned for the future ? just in case ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit