Dating within JW's

by 720Reddog 14 Replies latest jw friends

• 720Reddog
    720Reddog

How was dating in your congregation?

• 720Reddog
    720Reddog

In my congregation it was alot of young "brothers" very few young "sisters" and so as it would seem there was competition. The funny part was alot of the "sisters" in the congregation ended up with ":brothers' from other congregations. Be it as it may dating within the JW's is a nightmare/ I was a chaperone for my brother when he dated and he is now married to the woman i helped chaperone for him which is a weird thing to say. It's just so weird the dating within the JW's. IDK just thought i would post some reflections on my time in the weird cult of JW's.

• Biahi
    Biahi

When I was in, we didn’t use chaperones. That’s odd, like the Duggars.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

A rush to find someone who would marry you so you could have sex.

Not a good formula for happiness.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

The congregation I attended when I was a single JW sister, didn't have any single brothers, but there were several females. But when it became known there were several of age single females there were a few and I called them creepers come looking for a wife. None of my friends fell for them, fortunately. But before it was over most of us did eventually get married.

The first one of use to get married got married to the wrong man, they were divorced within less than 7 years.

The second one to get married met a brother originally from California who had temporarily transferred (work reason) to Kansas City Missouri. About a year after they were married they ended up moving back to where he was originally from.

The third one married a younger brother from the same congregation. He was about 3 years younger.. I believe that he wanted to marry someone like his mother because her personality and style of dress was just like his mother.

I was the next one to get married to my husband. We met at a kingdom hall build. He was from another state as well. I didn't know it at the time but he was a PIMO, but we had quite a lot in common. Our parents both became a JW to survive the big A in 1975 for starters.

This happened after I had moved away but another sister just couldn't find the right brother, and she ended up getting disfellowshipped twice for dating "worldly" men. When I last heard she had been married twice, and both times she married total dead beats who left her and their children without any support. She had to move back home until she could figure out what to do.

There were several others but I can't tell you what happened to them. As far as actual dating, there really wasn't. We all got married to the first guy we were "dating".

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

I have seen mostly people get desperate to get married coz of lack of enough bros n siss in any congregation. This is where they just want to get into the bandwagon with no forethought.

I was pursued by so many but all for the wrong silly reasons, not what was looking for really . Eg one person proposed coz I knew multi-languages and would fit in easily with the family (what the hell kind of reason is that to get hitched for life???)

2. Another proposed coz I was an exemplary regular pioneer, well-spoken about in the congregations and so ticked all their so called boxes.(this person would have only seen me on stage giving interviews and such.(What the hell kind of knowledge does that give you about a person personally??)

3.This makes me laugh.This person approached me coz this person thought after marrying me I could bring this persons parents into the truth. (how on earth does one think this is a criteria to get hitched?)

4.Another, unbaptised mind you, person thought I had a photogenic face, will look good together.(Come again! where do they get these stupid ideas from for marrying someone ??)

5.This takes the award.one person proposed the day after the person got baptised.So you know where his priorities lay! Here I was a regular pioneer for years, with years of experience in the truth so called. Hell no this is definitely called "uneven yoke" you need to steer clear of!

Boy the jdumb village is a village full of nutheads , hammerheads and brain deads. I refused all of them outright!

Thankfully I met the right person, fell in love for all the right reasons and married for all the right reasons in our books.Still totally together . (both pomo so life is great!)

Zing

• tiki
    tiki

Hah....dating was non existent back in my day....

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I’m glad I never married while a JW. I’m still currently single. I am slowing accepting my situation in life, and am happy that I can do what I like when I like.

• Spiral
    Spiral

Dating in the congregation was always fraught with drama. Then it got worse once you had to have chaperones (what is this, middle ages kind of thinking). We knew couples who had never been alone or had a private conversation before they got married. Or, in one congregation, you could meet at a restaurant (separate cars) and the chaperones would sit at a table close where they could keep an eye on you. Then everyone leaves in their own cars (and the chaperones probably follow you home, IDK) Ugh..... many of those marriages didn't last.

But now I see there is a JWMatch.com website. (Perhaps there's more than one.) I'm sure the GB doesn't approve, but really, if they are going to make people so desperate about trying to get married, they should honor this as a choice. I wonder about the success rate of the marriages it produces.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    720Reddog - "The funny part was a lot of the 'sisters' in the congregation ended up with 'brothers' from other congregations."

That's mostly 'cause familiarity breeds contempt.

All moot, really.

JWs don't "date". They "court".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit