The True Story of Santa Claus

by Country_Woman 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    "My Sinterklass is the true Sinterklass and will destroy your false Santa Claus with fire..."

... best comment on comparative religions I've seen on this board... it was by Dan I think but I'm not sure.

Sinterklaas is only part of the fun.

In Holland, PC is what you call a computer. In any other country, large groups of people blacking their faces and painting their lips red, and then capering around playfully, sometimes playing instruments, would be seen as having racist overtones.

Hell, in England we used to have a light musical variety program called 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' where people blacked-up and danced and sang. That was caned as it was rather offensive to anyone born after 1950... we had sit-coms in the seventies that are not put on TV any longer in the UK as they have such awful jokes based on race in them; sit coms they still show on Dutch and Belgian TV!

I'm serious; there were probably thirty of them in the shopping mall near where I live on Saturday.

And here... nobody minds. There's a large immigrant population, Turks, Morrocians, Somalians, other Africans... nobody gives a " " about it., Although undoubtedly "black peter" was as PC as manacles when the story originated, now Dutch people will tell you quite seriously he's not black, like a black person is black, he's just... black.

Holland does have problems with race issues, but on some levels is wonderfully colourblind.

• Seven
    Seven

Country Woman, Thank you for sharing the Sinterklaas story. It brought back a few good memories this morn. Elf 3

Some years ago I was visiting friends of the Orthodox persuasion and they instructed their little ones to place their shoes outside their bedroom doors on the eve of St Nicholas Day. I did the same(just for fun ;) but feeling a bit guilty. I stumbled out of my room the next morning to find my shoes filled with candy coins and treats. This is great!! :D

My favorite place on the planet to be around the holidays is Munich-the Marienplatz Christmas Market. I've only been there in December once but must get back there someday. The city is totally Christmas crazy!! Santa The food, crafts and music are outstanding. I hated to come home.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    Well....I think the U.S. Santa Claus, could kick your Netherlands Santa Claus big old shinny red ass!

Oh, I think NOT Gumby!!! Dutch Santa rules

And sure ... I'll sit on your lap and tell my every wish

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• gumby
    gumby
    And sure ... I'll sit on your lap and tell my every wish

I'm starting my piggy bank today to start saving up for my santa suit and my flight over there!

* gumby begins getting that funny feeling below*

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit