Woman crushed in rush at DVD sale

by Simon 20 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

This really made me 'wonder':

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3249574.stm

Woman crushed in rush at DVD sale
    A US store chain has apologised to a woman knocked unconscious as shoppers rushed for a sale of DVD players.
    Patricia VanLester was knocked to the ground in the frenzied dash for a $29 DVD player at a Wal-Mart SuperCenter in Orange City, Florida.

The 41-year-old had been first in the queue when the post-Thanksgiving sale opened at 6am local time on Friday.

"She got pushed down, and they walked over her like a herd of elephants," said her sister, Linda Ellzey.

Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player, surrounded by shoppers seemingly oblivious to her, Mark O'Keefe, a spokesman for EVAC Ambulance, told Associated Press.

Doctors at the hospital which admitted Ms VanLester said she had suffered a seizure after being knocked down and would probably remain in care for the rest of the weekend.

'Stop stepping on her!'

Ms Ellzey said some shoppers had tried to help her sister, and one employee helped rescue the woman, but most people just continued their rush for deals.

"All they cared about was a stupid DVD player," she said.

"I told them, 'Stop stepping on my sister! She's on the ground!'"

Ms Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later to ask after her sister, and the store apologised and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

Wal-Mart Stores spokeswoman Karen Burk said she had never heard of a such a melee during a sale.

"We are very disappointed this happened," she said. "We want her to come back as a shopper."

The day after Thanksgiving - the last Thursday of November - is traditionally the beginning of the Christmas season in the US.

Apart from the idiocy and selfishness of some people, what made me wonder was this bit:

Ms Ellzey said Wal-Mart officials called later to ask after her sister, and the store apologised and offered to put a DVD player on hold for her.

"on hold"? You'd think Wal-Mart with all their billions could have dished out for a measly $29 (even less for their cost) and given it to her !!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Walmart Special!!!

Get Yo A$$ Trampled for only $29 !!!!!

• rocketman
    rocketman

This story shows how ridiculous the whole Black Friday shopping thing is. And stores are culprits too - having "specials" that are good only for a short period of time, which causes a crush of customers.

• wednesday
    wednesday

wow that is so bad. For sure that woman will sue, and they will look so bad, just offering her a DVD player!! I've never had anything like that happen to me, but i don't go ut the day after turkey day to shop. People get up really early to be in the stores and i just don't care to be a part fo the hysteria.

• Princess
    Princess

They showed some footage of a Wal-Mart rush on the news last night. People were fighting over carts to fill with their junk. It was so stupid.

I believe it is worth it to pay more and avoid the rush. I try to get most of my shopping done before Thanksgiving and the rest I do online. I do have to go to the mall a couple more times but I'll do it while the kids are in school and the crowd is minimal.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I saw another video clip on the news today where some chick tryed to cut to the front of a line just as the doors of a store were opened. Another chick stepped in front of her and gave her the "Evil Eye" and then several other's grabbed her and pushed her back.

LOL

What is it with some women and shopping? Don't they realize that the products on the shelf will be there tomorrow? Even if they are not there tomorrow... there are plenty of other products available.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Paramedics called to the store found VanLester unconscious on top of a DVD player

But she was happy. She was the first in line too. She was probably the stupidest one there. But at least she was happy, protecting her new toy w her body. Blech

SS

• Mulan
    Mulan

Dave and I went to the Mall yesterday morning, for our first "Day after Thanksgiving sale", and it was amazing. We got there about 7 AM and had a hard time finding parking. We were in Sears doing paperwork on a trade on an appliance we bought last week, and getting a "price adjustment" while we were there, and we saw DVD players for $27.95. We thought about buying one for the bedroom TV, but decided to wait until the DVD recorders come down in price a bit.

It was a ZOO at the Mall though, but I loved it. Dave said he got a kick out of watching me do my Christmas shopping.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I feel sorry for this lady, but she did put herself in a situation that very well could end up the way it did. Fighting all those other people for supposed specials........... no thank you.

I just shop online. No lines, no headaches, and my car is in the garage with it's own parking space.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Don't they realize that the products on the shelf will be there tomorrow?

Yes, the items will be there, but the day after Thanksgiving offers special, one day only prices.

We bought a new washer and dryer last week at Sears, and yesterday they had a lower price, and offered no finance charges until January 2005...................only available yesterday. So we got our appliances "repurchased" on those terms. That was a great deal. There were lots of stores with 50% off yesterday only. Today it is 33% off.

Every little bit helps, and the crowd feel is neat.

There was one ornament I wanted to buy, but the line was too long, so I put it back. It wasn't a big sale, just eye appeal.

We left about 9 when we couldn't carry anymore stuff.

I went Christmas shopping with Princess on Wednesday and bought the rest of the grandkids gifts..................I think I bought all of them, actually...................all seven. And more. I only have a few more gifts to buy. I've been putting things away for months, so am almost done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit