Can the dead hear?

by AmyWatson916 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AmyWatson916
    AmyWatson916

The "What Does the Bible Really Teach?" book says we cannot speak to the dead (page 64) and that the dead do not hear (page 58) but on page 68 the book has Jesus talking to a dead man and the dead man apparently hearing and responding. The same thing happens on page 69 when Peter talks to a dead woman and the dead woman apparently hears and responds. How do Jehovah's Witnesses explain to people that they teach one thing and then give examples of just the opposite? I read about this in a little book called "What To Do When They Knock"--has anyone read this book?

• steve2
    steve2

Trying to ask JWs to explain inconsistencies in their writings makes as much sense as trying to make sense of a collection of writings cobbled together by church authorities hundreds upon hundreds of years ago. I would have as much fun asking JWs to "Please explain" inconsistencies in their writings as I would asking those who believe in the infallibility of the Bible to do so - which is actually not much fun at all.

• steve2
    steve2

Also, AmyWatson916, you've taken the trouble to start five topics over the past year and have never once responded to anyone who comments on the topics you start or who has asked you questions.

On each topic you start you seek advice on approaching JWs to ask questions about specific areas of doctrine and/or teachings and/or their literature.

It could be really helpful if you at least answered other posters queries -especially those who go to the trouble of responding, Best, steve2

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

An interesting side note to this. The last sense to go in death, is hearing. So with my fathers last breaths we were telling him we loved him, and promised to be taking care of Mom.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What about when Saul used a spirit medium to call up Samuel from the underworld then had a conversation with him.

• smiddy
    smiddy

You ask some valid questions AW916 ,and no doubt JW`s will give you an answer though maybe not one that satisfies ( they do have answers for everything even if their not relevant to the question asked ) They are also masters at deflecting questions which prove embarrassing for them to answer .You need to be very attune to staying on the question you ask and not to be sidelined by their trying to deflect that question away.

Getting back to your OP ,no I havent read that book but will endeavour to do so .

Thank you

and take care.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Amy, you are clearly concerned with what the Bible actually means. I suggest that you are on to a loser in this cause because there is no integrated, comprehensive "meaning" to the Bible.

It was never written from scratch with a meaning in mind, research shows that it is a collection of texts promoting worship of the tribal gods containing uplifting but unreasonable hope in saviours of one form or another. It also carries a large dose of warning threat of calamity for disobedience.

A better approach, should you have the time and inclination, is to understand the reasons why the Bible was collected together as an anthology of ancient handwritten texts.

Another avenue would be to find out why the human psyche has formerly depended on religious fantasy above scholarly and scientific fact.

It is completely possible to waste one's life believing things which have had the label "Holy" attached to it.

Far, far better is to answer questions starting from the base of concrete reality-- as opposed to the book of the shenanigans of the Hebrew God or the rantings of the Christ cults in the Greek scriptures.

• tiki
    tiki

They werent really dead yet...they just looked that way.....except for Lazarus. He was resurrected.

I still want to know where Daniel was and how he escaped the fiery furnace...I don't buy the idea that he was off on official business somewhere else in the realm.

And how was the air quality on the ark....

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Mark 12:26-28New International Version (NIV)

26 Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[a]? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!”

Luke 20:37-39New International Version (NIV)

37 But in the account of the burning bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’[a] 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.”

39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!”

Just saying.... the truth will set you free

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Can the dead hear?

No, they are dead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit