Chat AI shows Jesus was not god

by enigma1863 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

Title: Jesus' Perception of Himself: A Nuanced View of Equality in a Patriarchal Society

Introduction:

The perception of Jesus Christ's divinity has been a subject of theological debate for centuries. One argument that arises pertains to Jesus' self-perception and whether he considered himself equal to God. This article aims to explore the idea that Jesus, in the context of the patriarchal society in which he lived, did not view himself as equal to God, drawing upon the notion that in such a society, a father holds a greater position than a son, while brothers are considered equal.

Understanding the Historical Context:

To comprehend Jesus' self-perception, it is crucial to consider the cultural and societal norms of the time. The patriarchal structure prevalent in ancient Judea assigned distinct roles and hierarchies, where fathers held authority and prominence. This framework serves as a backdrop to examine Jesus' relationship with God and his understanding of his own divinity.

The Father-Son Analogy:

In various biblical references, Jesus frequently used the metaphor of a father-son relationship to describe his connection with God. In a patriarchal society, the father figure is inherently seen as greater than the son. This metaphorical language implies a hierarchy, suggesting that Jesus perceived himself as subordinate to God the Father.

John 14:28 - "You heard me say, 'I am going away, and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I."

This verse exemplifies Jesus' acknowledgement of the Father's superiority. By stating that the Father is greater than him, Jesus reveals an understanding of his subordinate role in the divine hierarchy.

Sibling Equality:

In contrast to the father-son relationship, the biblical narrative also emphasizes equality among siblings. Jesus is described as the "firstborn among many brothers" (Romans 8:29), implying an equal status with believers. This equality, when juxtaposed with the hierarchical understanding of the father-son relationship, supports the idea that Jesus did not perceive himself as equal to God.

Implications for Understanding Jesus' Divinity:

Interpreting Jesus' self-perception as not equal to God does not negate his divinity. Rather, it acknowledges the complexity of his understanding within the societal and cultural norms of his time. Jesus' unique role as the Son of God was characterized by both subordination to the Father and equality with fellow believers, emphasizing different aspects of his divine nature in various contexts.

Conclusion:

In the patriarchal society in which Jesus lived, where the father was deemed greater than the son, Jesus' self-perception can be understood through the lens of this cultural framework. His usage of the father-son analogy suggests a recognition of his subordinate position to God the Father. Simultaneously, the notion of sibling equality among believers emphasizes a different aspect of his divine nature. By exploring Jesus' self-perception within this historical context, we gain a nuanced understanding of his relationship with God and his divinity.

• pokertopia
    pokertopia

Divinity is, after all, the completion of personality. 2 Peter 1:5-7 presents eight stages of participation in God's nature. All of those steps are personality. So what people often refer to as divinity doesn't mean the nature of God, it means supernatural power. Does Jesus really have supernatural powers? No, he himself said, with his own mouth, there is no miracle I can show (Matthew 12:39). He's a human being and he has just compleleted his character.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

I guess ChatAI will now burn in hell for all eternity for heresy?

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

@ pokertopia - I've looked at numerous Bible versions, but I can't find any which says or infers, "there is no miracle I can show."

Every Bible I've looked at says, "no sign will be given."

Can you cite your source?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I ignore AI opinions because it's just the opinions of its programmers...............lefty woke sheeple of 'the current thing'.

• enigma1863
    enigma1863
    Hey Punk do you think maybe it’s because the right has made it a political issue that using logic reasoning and critical thinking is considered “lefty”? It’s a lot easier to control people if you tell them everyone outside their special group are sheeple.
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Anyone who has asked AI to answer a controversial question learns quickly that it just regurgitates the information from popular websites. There is no evaluation of accuracy or objectivity. Garbage. Nothing to do with left or right. It's just repeating crap, often contradictory answers in same response.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Although I agree with you about AI answers, Pete, it does make an interesting point about viewing Jesus words through the lense of cultural norms of the time.

Like Boogieman I'd also like to know where the translation of "no miracle I can show" comes from, too. It does sound possible.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    peacefulpete - Anyone who has asked AI to answer a controversial question learns quickly that it just regurgitates the information from popular websites. There is no evaluation of accuracy or objectivity. Garbage. Nothing to do with left or right. It's just repeating crap, often contradictory answers in same response.”

I concur.

Whoever has queried AI to respond to an uncomfortable query discover quite rapidly that it simply repeats the data from singular webpages. There is no consideration of facts or nuance. Trash. No connection to up or down. It's simply reiterating shit, often antithetical non-solutions in similar regard.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Pete, it does make an interesting point about viewing Jesus words through the lens of cultural norms of the time.

If we are to dig a little deeper we find the "cultural norms" include the sectarian usage of "Son of God" to include the purely mystical representation of Deity in action. For example:

Philo of Alexandria | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy (utm.edu)

As has been repeated many times recently on this forum, the language of begetting, subordination and sonship are not preclusive to identifying Son of God as God. The words have a unique religious meaning that was current in Jewish thought.

I also remind you that the words placed in Jesus' mouth are those of the writers for theological purposes. It is easily demonstrated by comparing recensions/versions of the Gospel that these words reflect the views the writer wished to convey and are not actual quotations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit