Becoming a JW

by Mum 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

I rarely post here, but I often check in. I used to post on H2O as well. I think I once posted some of this on H2O, but there are many new ones who have joined since then.

I first encountered JW's at the age of 9. It wasn't in the door-to-door work, however. My dad's boss was a JW, and my dad ran into him one Saturday as his boss was doing street work ('way before there were carts). My dad was not a person who was interested in spirituality or religion. He was a "good time Charlie." He did, however, understand that "kissing up" to the boss had some value. So, he allowed his boss to start a home Bible study with our family. I was in the Shriners' Hospital for Crippled Children (now the Shriners' Hospital for Children) when this occurred.

Upon my release from the hospital, my parents came and picked me up. The hospital was in Lexington, KY, and my parents lived in Dayton, OH. My mom told me on the way home that we were going to stop and visit some Jehovah's witnesses. I had heard of JW's, but only bad things. I was puzzled, but I was a quiet child who seldom expressed my feelings.

We went to the home of my dad's boss, and I was met by the boss's wife and two children (one of whom was my age, and one of whom was a few years older) who jumped from behind their door with gifts for me (a coloring book, crayons, and perhaps some other small item like a puzzle), and yelled "Surprise!" There were certain advantages to me in being a physically handicapped child. We had a nice time chatting with this family, who had the same last name we did.

In a few days, they came to our apartment and conducted a "Bible" study from the "Let God Be True" book. They were impressed with my reading ability, which was at a higher level than their son's. They were very nice people, and my sister and I would play with their kids while my mom almost always served coffee and dessert after the study. All in all, it was a positive experience for us.

Fast forward a couple of years, and our family had moved into a house, but my dad had the same job, and the "Bible" study continued from a different book, which I think was called "This Means Everlasting Life," but I'm not sure. My dad's boss didn't see much potential in our becoming Jehovah's witnesses, but he and his sweet wife, and sometimes his kids, continued to study with us. Later on, I was told that I was seen as the only potential convert out of my family.

Eventually, my dad got a Civil Service job, and no longer had the same boss. So, being the disinterested person he really was, he called off the "Bible" study. No need to kiss that guy's ass any more! :-) So, life went on for about three more years without any JW contact except occasional door-knocking encounters.

Then, when I was 15, my dad's friend in Tennessee was killed in a coal mine cave-in. My dad claimed to have participated in "James's judgment." My dad had some kind of (drug-induced?) other worldly experience when his friend died, so he decided we should start going to the Baptist Church near our house. I was the most religiously inclined person in our family, and I liked going to church. One evening, at some kind of young people's event, I won a competition answering Bible questions. My Sunday school teacher gave me a New Testament as a prize.

A few weeks later, there was a revival at the church. The evangelist Jack Van Impe was the featured guest pastor. He chose one evening to preach against Jehovah's witnesses. He thought he had "answers" to their false beliefs. He said some things about them that were not true. I don't remember what he said now, but I knew at the time there were inaccuracies in his tirade. The effect on my 15-year-old brain was devastating. It made me believe JW's were being unfairly persecuted, just like they claimed. It made me believe they must be right! I was all for the underdog when this wealthy semi-famous preacher went on the attack. So I contacted the witnesses who had studied with us and expressed my wish to become a JW. They were delighted.

Before I became a full-fledged publisher, however, I struggled with worry about whether I could be good enough (already!) One night, I spent almost an entire night in prayer because I was so apprehensive. After hours of praying, I heard an audible voice (where it came from I don't know, maybe from inside of me) say "You do what you need to do." It was not the loving affirmation I was seeking, but it jarred me. I quit praying at that point and decided to go ahead with my plans to become a JW. My Sunday school teacher tried to talk me out of it, but you know how stubborn one can be after being convinced that it's the "truth."

So, I was a JW from the ages of 15 to 32. Then, after having lived in hopes of "the last day of the last days" and considering the possibility of reaching old age in this "system," I could no longer bear it. I did what I needed to do.

• Ding
    Ding
    Glad you escaped at age 32.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MUM:

I’m glad you escaped from the JW religion at an early age!

Instead of 32, it could have been double that at age 64. Just think about how many Witnesses reached that advanced age with no preparation for retirement!.. They were discouraged or intimidated into not preparing. They were afraid to face shunning and not being invited to gatherings. I experienced this, but I stuck to my guns.. You got out at an early enough age to get an education, a decent job and preparation for retirement. You also had the chance to get some happiness out of life instead of the JW gloom and doom outlook.

Good for you!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Too bad Van Impe pushed you in a direction that even your Baptist Sunday School teacher could not resolve. At least Baptists will not shun people who leave their church. Glad you realized you were in a controlling cult at 32 and made your way to freedom.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Parents became Jw's, and then dropped out. Us kids were forced into it by birth. But over time and the Watchtower 's ridiculous Policies we decided this does not work for us.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@Vanderhoven7:

I've actually seen and heard of Baptists who in fact DO shun people who've left. There are some real extremists out there.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I rarely post here, but I often check in. I used to post on H2O as well. I think I once posted some of this on H2O

Well G’day Mum ! I remember you from h2o days. So much has happened since those ‘early days’!

Good to ‘hear’ from you again. As we say Downunder, owyergoin ? I hope life has been good for you these past years. I’m sure your story will help many.

Cheers,

Ozzie 🍷 (still of the shiraz class)

• Mum
    Mum

Ozzie! Glad you're here. Do the JW's still have your children? Life is good, thank you. I found a job with a decent retirement plan, but not until I was 48! Anyway, all's well that ends well, eh?

Cheers,

Mum, lover of cognac

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MUM:

So glad to hear that you did end up getting a job with a decent Retirement plan even if it was a little later in the game - but, fortunately, not too late.👍🏻 In fact, you were lucky, I think.

And, yes, all’s well that ends well!

• Mum
    Mum

LongHairGal,

Yes, I've been very lucky in many ways. Believe it or not, my mom became a JW near the end of her life -- after she became a bilateral amputee and couldn't go from door to door. However, to her credit, she never shunned me even though she knew I was an "apostate." She never told any of her JW friends that I was an apostate either. My daughter spoke to her about some of the issues of the Watchtower society, but her response was, "I'd ask them about it, but they'd take it the wrong way." My sister says her conversion was really about social interaction. My mom had great social skills, and the JW's would visit her often, send her flowers and gifts and food. Amazing!

I am just the opposite of my mom. I have poor social skills and blurt out what I see as truth a little to bluntly to be well-liked. That's okay because I enjoy my alone time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit