How Can I answer my mam.......

by Gadget 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• patio34
    patio34

It seems to me that shunning is supported by the "sayings of Jesus" in Matthew 18:17:

If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen...let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector."

I seem to remember the WT saying that the Jews shunned such people. So, it could be said that Jesus was supporting the shunning.

Not that I care, because I have no belief in any god (as Valis stated), but before you debate with your mother, you may want to keep that in mind. When you're debating a JW on the Bible, it doesn't seem very promising because their versions are iron-clad and they usually know quite a bit.

Now, if one were to debate the existence of god, they would be on much more solid ground, imo. As someone on this board said, debating the Bible is parsing a myth.

Pat

• little witch
    little witch

Quite simply,

The Pharisees were convinced of their "rightousness" and excluded all others who would not bend to their way of worship.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    It seems to me that shunning is supported by the "sayings of Jesus" in Matthew 18:17:

If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen...let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector."

But Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen...let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.

So was Jesus saying "don't speak to strangers and tax collectors" ??

Why strangers and tax-collectors? Why not killers etc.? Because they are people that you should be giving worldly goods to.

More like, "Start again as if you had not met them, being aware that they may require worldly things (fore-give)".

Jw understanding (hearing) is, "Treat them just like you've already been badly treating these other people, like those people who don't deserve you to give anything to them, except if that other commandment about families binds you to do it - rules are rules you know".

Here's a truth that nature teaches - dead and rotting things have undesirable smells.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Gadget, actually Jesus was shown to denounce the Pharisees.....for......their leadership in a "lording-it-over their followers" manner....knowing the way to "heaven" but not allowing their followers to have "entrance".....for being the oppressively judgMENTAL hypocrites and "white-washed graves" the Pharisees were.....just as JW leaders are today.....

Frannie B

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Actually, the Pharasee's didn't promote false teachings. They encouraged people to keep the whole law, and in some respects made it even harder for people, but they were quite pedantic about not producing "false" worship.

Gadget - ask her if she's comfortable with her sexuality
    (Private joke)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Thanks for the correction, Little Toe....you're right of course...the Pharisees weren't false prophets like the JWs today are....the only major difference as far as I can see....

BTW, LT....Happy B'day, dude!

Cheers!

Frannie B

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Frannie:
    Agreed, and thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit