How Can I answer my mam.......

by Gadget 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gadget
    Gadget

Last week I was in the car with my mam taking her to the hospital, so I decided to ask her a few things seen as I had a captive audience. I talked about 'worldly' people who would risk their lives for the sake of their friend, and compared this to the witnesses who shun people who decide they don't want to just follow a religion anymore. I asked who showed the most love, and why did jw's shun people anyway. She said that they shun people who don't follow the right path because they're following Jesus' example of when he didn't associate with the pharisee's! I'd never thought of this one, so didn't have an answer for it. Any ideas how I get round this one?

edited to add:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/43694/1.ashx

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Gadget...Big Tex put it well in another thread and I would be interested to hear your mother's answer to such a statement..

I believe in a God who is inclusive, who loves and cares for everyone just because we are living beings, rather than the exclusive and demanding god who cares only for field service, meetings, comments and how much money you put in the contribution box.

I'm not a believer in any god, but I thought maybe approaching her like this might start an interesting conversation. Also, mention to her Jesus hung out (there's a crucufixtion joke in there somewhere) with the lowest of the low and loved them anyway. Are people who choose not to be JWs any less deserving of the jesus like love than say the prostitute, or the murderer the bible mentions?. He also walked away from the his native religion because he saw a lot of bad things happening and thought there was a better way. He couldn't believe in something he knew was not right. How can one in good conscience involve themselves in something they know is not "The Truth"?. Just my 2 farthings..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

In John chapter 3, a pharisee by the name of Nicodemus came to Jesus at night to talk to him. Jesus did not shun him.

He spoke with a woman at a well who was a well known sinner, and also a Samaritan. He did not shun her because of her sin or her religion.

On numerous occasions, Jesus was denounced by religious leaders because he ate with "tax collectors and sinners". He did not shun people. He was noted for his acceptance of everyone.

Shunning is a human invention, used to control people. The only references to shunning come later in the Bible, after the time of Jesus. Jesus himself did exactly the opposite - he sought out people that the rest of the world avoided.

• shotgun
    shotgun

He also went to the synagogue every week and hung out with the Pharisee's, as many took turns expounding topics from the scrolls.

I can't remember the last time I expounded something.

He detested the Pharisee's for the false teachings, lack of love and doctrines which were traditions of men. Sounds like the bunch from Brooklyn!

• blondie
    blondie

On 3 occasions, Jesus ate a meal at a Pharisee's home

Luke 7:36

36 Now a certain one of the Pharisees kept asking him to dine with him. Accordingly he entered into the house of the Pharisee and reclined at the table.

Luke 11:37

37 When he had spoken this, a Pharisee requested him to dine with him. So he went in and reclined at the table.

Luke 14:1

14 And on an occasion when he went into the house of a certain one of the rulers of the Pharisees on the sabbath to eat a meal, they were closely watching him.
  • Gadget
    Gadget
    On numerous occasions, Jesus was denounced by religious leaders because he ate with "tax collectors and sinners".

I already mentioned that one to her, but she said it was different because the pharisee's were promoting false teaching. I like the points about Jesus talking with them in the synagog, and eating meals with them in their homes.

• qua
    qua

deleted: spamming and off topic

• blondie
    blondie

qua, I'm no moderator but posting the same post on many threads is considered spamming. In my opinion, it diminishes the effect of the first post and annoys the hell of those of us who would have interested. You remind me of a poster from the past.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby
    She said that they shun people who don't follow the right path because they're following Jesus' example of when he didn't associate with the pharisee's

It's intresting that she would compare a DFed one to a pharisee. How is a DFed one anything like a pharisee?

The Pharisees incited people against Jesus, did not believe in him, denied his powerful works, and were so jealous for their laws and traditions that their pride stood in the way of love. How is a man or woman, who decided they are following false doctrine and leaves the witnesses.....like a pharisee? The Pharisees believed what they WANTED to believe...for selfish reasons..... inspite of evidence contrary to them. An (apostate) wants to know the real truth BECAUSE he HAS evidence his former truth was wrong. There's a difference.

Gumby

• Scully
    Scully

Blondie, thanks for the heads up on qua's spamming. I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, since I haven't checked the other threads until now.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit