The Witneses reckon that they are the only ones going door-to-door!

by Bungi Bill 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I just had a visit from two guys who are engaged in a door-to-door campaign in the area, preaching "The Gospel", and offering, to quote "The best news you are ever going to hear". This was at 3:30 pm local time, an hour at by which all JWs would have long called it a day.

While these two didn't identify themselves with any particular church group, it was quite obvious that they were neither JWs or LDS.

By contrast, since moving into my current address eight months ago, we have had one only visit from the JWs - this in a district of just 20,000 people, but which has no less then three congregations of Jehovahs Witnesses!

When everything else fails, the JWs like to point to the door-to-door "Preaching Work" as evidence that they - and only they - have "The Truth". Well look out fellas. Around here at least, somebody might be stealing your thunder!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember way back in either the 70's or 80's a Seventh Day Adventist came knocking at the door, lo and behold, my mother actually stood their and listened and took her little pamphlet. Of course after she closed the door she then says, "well, I started to say something to her, but I just listened" and the pamphlet went in the trash. I think she was just gobsmacked to get back in her face what she's been doing since 1958.

• Chook
    Chook

Ask the next Jw how their god is to present the message in Bangladesh.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless
    While these two didn't identify themselves with any particular church group...

That seems to be a tactic used by the Seventh Day Adventists. You ask them what their church or denomination is, and you get silly responses like "there is only one church" etc. They have tracts etc that don't identify their denomination. It seems to be a marketing trick to outsiders to pretend initially to be some sort of pan-denominational Christian organisation. Just their version of "theocratic warfare", I guess.

• venus
    venus

When means of communication have been radically changed, still resorting to 2000-year old house-to-house means of communication is like saying: Jesus used a boat to cross the river, and now also I will use boat even though there is an express-high-way-bridge going over the same river.

Even preaching activity itself is not the sign of a true religion (Mathew 7:21-23), if so, how can its means of being carried out be the sign of true religion?

• steve2
    steve2

JWs do not cover the territory anywhere near the frequency and intensity of its coverage in the 1960s and especially the early 1970s.

It is unparalleled in the Western world for the sheer repetitiveness of their door-knocking. If there was a heyday of JW activity, that was it.

Those not alive then will have no idea what real zealous coverage of the territory looks like.

The current lame literature trolley game and the limp stragglers who still shuffle door-to-door mistake zeal for the first to get to Starbucks.

Based on undisguised public urgency, the end was far, far closer in the 1960s and 1970s.

The performance of today's breed of JWs suggest the end is no where in sight - unless of course, they are referring to the end of public preaching. It's breathlessly so very near.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I wonder if it's the same group of people. Because last week I had the same type of visit with people identifying themselves as Christian and wanting to discuss the bible. I questioned what denomination they were, but they didn't tell me. I actually gave the guy my phone number as he wanted to have a bible study with me. He phoned me the next day and I said no thanks. I mentioned to them that I could identify with what they were doing as I did the same thing. The male was dressed in a suit and tie, but his companion was in regular clothes. If I remember correctly I think it was some sort of bible college.

• dozy
    dozy

Occasionally some of the "born again" groups here decide on a door to door campaign but it usually fizzles out after a short while - nobody wants to do it & door-to-door simply doesn't work any more - it just annoys people. If the Society ever had to actually pay people to do it , they would drop it like a stone - it's only because it is free labour that ( very occasionally ) produces a convert.

The impression I get is that JWs are doing a lot less and less door-to-door anyway. I've spoken to only one JW at my house in the last 7 years & had a couple of tracts through the door when I have been out at work. Friends I have spoken to have said the same - one of them ( 50 years old ) says he has never , all his life , ever spoken to a witness at the door ( or anywhere else ). Another one asked me why JWs no longer knocked on doors - she assumed the work had stopped. It is hardly the intense preaching activity that the Society claims.

A very telling comment was made by an elder in Millhill ( the "home congregation" to the London Bethel. ) We had him around for a meal about 10 years ago & he told us that they deliberately didn't work the residential streets or businesses around the Bethel complex or do any street work as they wanted to keep on good terms with the residents there and had a kind of informal understanding that they weren't to be knocked on. That was a real eye - opener for me.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

D2d not a sign of true religion. Excellent point!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

It is noteworthy that both these characters were dressed casually. Also, neither resembled the one and only visitation I have ever received from Seventh Day Adventists (back in 1981).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit