Falcon Heavy

by Coded Logic 43 Replies latest social current

• Outahere
    Outahere

The US is funding dev of SpaceX? Do you mean as a contract? Or as a subsidy?

And can you cite a source please?

Yes COTS is contract-based, but that isn't what I'm talking about.

The Air Force has dumped some $40 million into methalox engine development at SpaceX. That's just one thing that comes to my mind. And, at the state level, the company has taken subsidies in the past.

Elon has no problem taking government subsidies. He built SolarCity and Tesla with that.

• Simon
    Simon

While it's interesting from a science point of view and human achievement, this notion that we need to go to Mars is silly and we shouldn't be burning up Earth's resources to do it. We have the best planet imaginable, we should look after it better.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Wow Simon, you're a grade A idiot

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Outahere,

Source?????

• Jacobi
    Jacobi

I certainly saw it and I must admit it was a profoundly impressive sight -- I was almost cheering loudly as it passed up towards orbit and seeing those two boosters land in perfect sync was really one of the most impressive things I am ever going to see on video.I even thought the car and bowie theme was awesome and I kind of thought it was silly initially ;-).

I don't get the distractors on this thread. Regardless of government help, this was one of the truly great feats of engineering in all of history, and it was done right in the middle of the US. Is natural pride these days reserved for when the fat man manage to remember most of the names of his cabinet members?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Where are all the conspiracy theorists ,fake news people ready to debunk this achievement ? I`m sure their out there.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Simon, most of what we now know about the Earth came to us via the space program. Without the ability to collect data from all over the world at once, and then analyze it, we would not even know climate change was taking place. If you want to take better care of the planet, invest in the space program. Right now we only have one data point for our understanding of how planets work. We need to get other places to fill in the gaps in our knowledge.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Simon I have to agree with you on this one point that we need to be more interested in taking care of this planet and not worry so much about colonizing Mars. It makes me sad to say that because I love the space program. I always hope to go into space but I am to old now. But many helpful things have come about because of it and our understanding of Earth has been valuable.

You got to admit watching those two booster rockets landing up right was pretty neat to see. To bad the main booster didn't make it. Watching it take off and the boosters landing was very exciting. It seems humankind is always looking for greener grass on the other side of the fence instead of taking care of the pasture they live on. Live long and prosper. Still Totally ADD

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Look at what we can do!

• Outahere
    Outahere

It's an old argument, and one that if consistently followed would mean we'd still be huddling in caves and grass huts in Africa.

I agree with Musk: We need to become a space faring species that lives on multiple planets. Sooner or later, an extinction event will happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit