Falcon Heavy

by Coded Logic 43 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

The Falcon Heavy is set to launch today. If successful, it will become the most powerful rocket in use (twice as powerful as the Delta Heavy).

As it's the very first attempt, Elon Musk has said he thinks there's a 50/50 chance of it not blowing up. So should be interesting. The launch window opens after 12:00 EST today so if you want to watch here's a link to the live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth

Looking forward too it.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

UPDATE:

Due to weather conditions the launch window has been pushed back to 3:05 EST

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

Meh. can't say I am too excited to see billions of government subsidies to go waste to launch some rich dudes car.... it he wants to advertise his elite car brand, he should do so for his own money!

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

He is doing it with his own money.

Spacex is a privately held and run company that operates off of private funding and hasn't received a single dime from federal government subsidies. The only government money it receives are from NASA contracts (where it's getting paid to supply the ISS and put satellites into orbit) and defense contracts (where it's getting paid to provide a service). This is unlike the ULA which gets paid 800milion dollars a year simply as a retainer (subsidy).

As usual HH, you have no idea what you're talking about. Turn off Fox News and actually do some research for once. You're fake outrage is getting old fast.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

SUCCESS!!!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

That was truly awesome to watch

• Outahere
    Outahere
    and hasn't received a single dime from federal government subsidies.

I wouldn't quite put it that way although maybe it was once true. US Gov IS funding dev of new SpaceX tech these days.

I watched the launch. It was impressive.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

The US is funding dev of SpaceX? Do you mean as a contract? Or as a subsidy?

And can you cite a source please?

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

Elon has been getting billions from the US government in various ways.

As a lover of science, I 100% agree that this was a very Impressive launch, but we should not kid ourselves about who is paying. That is why I think it is a bit lame to turn it into an advertisement for his underperforming car business.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit