I consider myself an atheist. And right now i'm reading a lot on atheism in general (books written to answer creationists).
I'd be interested in knowing how you became an atheist after leaving the JWs and how long did it take? Was it instant or did your belief in a deity gradually decline?
When I woke up from the Watchtower cult I still believed in some sort of god. It wasn't until a few months later that i came to the conclusion that there probably is not god. Looking back i can see that it happened in stages:
- Still believed in Jehovah, but not the Watchtower (this is when i considered myself "awake" from Watchtower.
- Still believed the bible, but that it was gods general thoughts that had been watered down and corrupted over time.
- Believed in a god/goddess
- Studied Hinduism/Paganism/Old Norse religion and was open to the idea of worshiping nature under the personification of gods (at this stage i think i was just grasping at straws)
- Read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and had a very real mental shift. I was off kilter for a few weeks not really sure of myself.
- Decided that there's no evidence for any god and that the most important thing is to treat myself and others well regardless.
After becoming an atheist again (i say "again" because we were all born atheists) there was a lot of things to think about and to deal with. Yes, i will die and never come back. No, i'll never see my dead father and grandparents again - the memories I have of them are all that are left. Yes, i should work to make my community/country/world a better place, no, nobody is going to solve world hunger overnight.
At the end of it all though, it's made me a much happier, grateful and kinder person. Anyone else feel that way?