Years REALLY DO FLY BY!

by somebody 33 Replies latest jw friends

• somebody
    somebody

I just realized that I was 39 years old when I joined this discussion board. I remember the morning conversations that always brought me laughter, and I think there were only a but about 9 or 10 regulars back then! I will now turn 57 years old in a few months. Which makes me think about Simon and Angarads children, who were toddlers! So if I can figure out how, I may have to change my picture. ( Not that I want to) lol. Simon put this picture of me on here YEARS ago because I didn't even know how to then!

• TD
    TD

I remember you!

Greetings from another "old" person

I hope all is well with you and yours!

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, hello, how are you? :)

Yeah, our boys are now young men - one's working and the other is going to university, both really great guys.

Time flies so fast, especially as you get older.

• steve2
    steve2

somebody - nice to hear from you. I joined 13 years ago and I look back amazed at how fast time flies.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Just watched a skit on YouTube. It was from the Steve Allen show aka the Tonight Show. Don Knotts, Steve Allen, Louis Nye and Chuck Connors. They're all dead and I am old. Go figure. It was funny though, timeless.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Speaking of how fast time flies... the last few years have been a blur. I was going to start a thread (still probably will) about how we, on this site, four years ago were discussing the fact that it was 2014, which was 100 years since the all-important JW date of 1914. I can't believe that has been four years. It seems like six months ago!

Not too long ago, I heard a good explanation as to why it seems that time passes faster as one ages. When one is ten years old, five years is half of his life, so it seems like a long time, but when one is fifty years old, five years is only a tenth of his life, so it seems like a lot less.

I just know that the years seem to fly by. I cannot believe it is almost 2018! I remember watching the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, and thinking that 2001 seemed like so far in the future. Well, so much for that.

• steve2
    steve2

I recall what an eternity it felt like from one year to the next when I was a kid. My sister was little more than one year older than me - and she seemed so very old and I couldn't wait to be as old as her.

Now, I'd do anything to recapture that lovely feeling of time taking forever to move forward.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Guess that explains why the old folgies always seemed to drive so slow when I was a kid - except for Granny, she was a lead-foot and for some reason everyone around her would always be driving the wrong direction

I guess that explains why, for an old man of war like Jehovah, one day is like 1,000 years.

Stinks though, this fast time stuff. I suppose perhaps it's easier when you're retired? Hey at least the pimo meetings go by faster.

• Saename
    Saename
    I was going to start a thread (still probably will) about how we, on this site, four years ago were discussing the fact that it was 2014, which was 100 years since the all-important JW date of 1914.

Oh my God, I remember that year. I was still a fully in Witness. I remember vividly sitting at a meeting, holding Our Kingdom Ministry from August, 2014, which on the front page claimed that a hundred years have already passed since Jesus became the king of God's kingdom. Oh, how happy were we about that! If someone told me back then that a year and around 10 months later I would become an atheist, I wouldn't believe them...

• Magnum
    Magnum

Saename, I know the feeling. Back around 2006, I went in the ministry almost every day during the campaign for the tract "The end of false religion is near." If someone had had told me then that I'd soon be posting on or even reading this forum, I wouldn't have believed it.

steve2, I, too, remember what an eternity it felt like from one year to the next. I also remember row those who were just one or two grades ahead of me seemed so much older. And oh, how I'd love to "recapture that lovely feeling", too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit