By what authority does the Watchtower declare itself biblical interpreter?

by TTWSYF 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The authority to determine what the Bible including Dan. 4 means was conferred in 1919 after Christ's final temple inspection

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Vanderhoven7an hour agoan hour ago

The authority to determine what the Bible including Dan. 4 means was conferred in 1919 after Christ's final temple inspection

That's not an answer about authoritatively interpreting what the scriptures say. Why would someone accept the WTS take on biblical interpretation. With some 40k different forms of Christianity, how do they convince people that they have that authority is my question I guess.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

There is no biblical basis for WTS authority. Assertion does not qualify as evidence.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

so authority, in the case of JWs, comes from zealous and convincing assertion by its members only?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The main problem with Watchtower religion is that it is not biblical. It's based on groundless allegations of authority. In fact, every doctrine which is unique to the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses is extra-biblical.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Jesus inspected all faiths in 1914?

So he picked the one that was deeply involved in Pyramidology to reach the date of 1914, then later twisted up another false anti scripture dating to reach 1914 .

...and yes the WTS has self described itself as modern day prophets, written in their own magazine the Watchtower.

That makes all the sense.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@TTWSYF The May 1, 1997 Watchtower answers your question on where the "authority" comes from:

"Jehovah God is the Grand Identifier of his true messengers.He identifies them by making the messages he delivers come true. Jehovah is also the Great Exposer of false messengers. How does he expose them? He frustrates their signs and predictions. In this way he shows that they are SELF-APPOINTED PROGNOSTICATORS, whose messages really spring from their OWN FALSE REASONING - yes, their FOOLISH, FLESHLY THINKING!"

Thank you for clearing that up for us, WT.

• waton
    waton

Authority is automatically conferred to the winning aspirants to the F&DSlave title based on their works, message.

The Watchtower message, a winner: the central doctrine from 1918-1925 was: " The world has ended, Millions now living will never die" . a winner.

The world ended invisibly in 1914, as "Jesus" started ruling invisibly again.

Such winsome doctrines automatically confer teaching rights to the wtbts.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Wt 02 Feb 15

"True, we have not studied at Christendom’s schools of higher learning. We have no appointment as teachers from a theological seminary. Are we lacking, then, in qualifications? Certainly not! Our appointment as his Witnesses comes from Jehovah. (Isaiah 43:10-12) If we pray for his spirit and work in harmony with our prayer, we have the highest of qualifications. Of course, we are imperfect and fall short of the example set by the Great Teacher, Jesus. Nonetheless, are we not thankful that Jehovah uses his spirit to qualify and equip us as teachers of his Word?"

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@BluesBrother "If we pray for his spirit and work in harmony with our prayer..."

That is so neat. Last night I prayed to become a doctor, and today I carefully administered some Panadol to my kid. This prayer stuff is really working. Who needs an Ivy League education when you can listen to the voices in your head telling you that you have God's blessing?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bunch of books to write instructing everyone how they MUST live their lives from a medically-sound perspective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit