Do older faders fear better than younger faders

by joe134cd 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I read and replied to a post today about weather there were any benefits in been a JW. As much as I now dislike the religion, I had to agree that there was an up side, due to their strong stance on alcohol, gambling, smoking, and sexual practice. We would all agree that these can be terrible vices that can get out of control.

i was at one point a true believer, who believed in these rules, and to a point have benefited from abstaining from these practices.

When I left the religion I was nearing 40, and I faded purely because I didn’t believe in the edits of 8 men in Brooklyn. I was past all the nonsense of younger years. So my view on the above hasnt changed, although I hold a completly different view of the organisation that in forced it.

I would say that the majority of those who leave in their younger years would do so not so much for intellectual reasons but because they are allured by the attractions of secular society. Of course not having developed worldly wisdom, and caution they very soon find themselves in very sorry circumstances. I know of one example where the young individual ended up a prostitute, with a drug habit.

So my question is? Do the reasons for leaving and the age at which an individual leaves affect the out come in their lives. I can site a few cases where they would of been better off still JWs.

• Sliced
    Sliced

I think anyone who leaves the this so called religion fares quite well no matter what the age----> IF and ONLY IF they are fully awake to the facts and not torn between still thinking it could be true. That, to me, is where most young or old seem to run into major issues...

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

The question I posed is not so much about the truth of the religion as I know it’s a total load of bollocks. My question posed was dose the reason and the age of leaving affect the out come in latter life.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

There a 100,000s of millions even billions of people living there lives chasing thier dreams with out getting into crazy sex practices doing drugs gambling or drinking excessive amounts of booze. I would have loved to never been a jw and been able to chase my dreams!!!

• millie210
    millie210

I think mileage may vary on this question.

An older fader would perhaps not be as tempted by the allures of society.

They might also find it harder to merge their longstanding social and lifestyle habits as a JW with a brand new life though. Making friends might be a challenge.

A younger fader might find a lot of things they have to face in a world without JW restrictions and will have to figure that out. They may have an easier time "starting over" friendship and even location wise though.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JOE134CD:

I would say, Yes, I believe they do fare better. I was older when I “faded”.

I also was not a born-in and this probably made it easier as well. I already was in the “world”, and did not leave the religion for the reasons some young born-in might leave it. They are more in danger of going back because they can’t function in the world and may have family in the religion.

I left because of how negatively I was viewed as a single working woman and also because I had ENOUGH..It was very easy to walk away when the time was right!👍🏻

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

I was a born in, and i DID leave in my late teens. I struggled with thinking it was still the "truth" for many years after, but still could not bring myself to go back.

Yes, i lived a "worldly" life, had many girlfriends, and played the field, even experimented with many things, drugs, and experiences.

However, i was always responsible, and success driven. I started my own company at 20 years old. I worked hard, invested my money in real estate, became a landlord at 23 years old, and continue to live a comfortable life now into my early 40s.

I have a wonderful family, comfortable financial success, and a fairly easy, stress free, and happy life. I think all the Elders that DF'd me in my late teens thought for sure that life was gonna kick the sh#t outta me, and i was gonna come crawling back. Instead, i thrived, live a good life, treat people with kindness, and sincerely try to be a decent human, and the best Father i could be.

Leaving younger in life was not a detriment for me. I created my own destiny, and looking back now, i realize that being DF'd was one of the best things that ever happened to me, and THANK GOD it happened when i was YOUNGER, and didnt waste anymore years of my life in "shackles" from a Cult.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad
    I had to agree that there was an up side, due to their strong stance on alcohol, gambling, smoking, and sexual practice. We would all agree that these can be terrible vices that can get out of control.

I've known thousands of people who aren't JWs who've managed to steer clear of the above vices...and what's more, live morally cleaner lives than many/most JWs.

In fact I, myself, may have been better off a Mormon, a Born-Again Christian...etc! In other words as a JW...I have my own set of unique regrets because of being affiliated with this cult.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Do the reasons for leaving and the age at which an individual leaves affect the out come in their lives. ?

I think it probably does

.Older people who leave generally have a much better understanding of the scriptural reasoning`s for their once long held beliefs.

And the publications of long ago that seemed to give credence and validate these beliefs.

Not so for the younger generation today who do not have any publications that relate to this period in history that resonate with any Bible prophecy and so have no relevance to today .

And of course their is the Internet today for which I am most thankful for .

In the 1950`s -60`s we had "Your will be Done On Earth " and Babylon The Great God`s Kingdom Rules " which seemed to fit in with what was happening on the world stage at that time in history .

Their is nothing comparable with what is happening now in Watchtower-land or the world scene that is comparable to those days in the 60`s and 70`s .

• just fine
    just fine

I left when in my early twenties and I did party some, but then got my act together. Went to college, have a great career, good marriage etc. I think it’s more about the mindset of leaving. If you still believe it’s the “truth” then leaving can set you on a destructive path. Once you know it’s all BS, it’s easier to get on with other your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit