Joel Osteen

by jhine 18 Replies latest social current

• LV101
    LV101

I know of a couple people who watch his program (or did). One an xJW and the other use to attend the Crystal Cathedral (so cal). Keeps the xJW from attending meetings. I checked out his TV show few yrs. ago and he's entertaining -- very positive and quite the motivational speaker.

From the looks of his estate he's doing well -- no shortage of hurting people in the world who need hope. He's going to need to continue making serious moolah to maintain that property!

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Jan, Joel is in Houston Texas. His father had a small church that he started in a feed store that struggled for a long time. My Uncle tells me that Joel's father's ministry (John Osteen) started growing in the mid-1970s when witnesses were figuring out that 1975 was a hoax. I don't know if there is a direct relationship between witnesses leaving and joining John Osteen's ministry, but, my Uncle seemed to think so, but I haven't any proof. Probably coincidental.

I've listened to his sermons on Sirius XM and he is very positive. I have enjoyed how he brings out that when the Israelites first left Egypt they still had a "slaves mentality", they thought of themselves as victims. He claims the reason why they were instructed to walk around Jericho and not say a word is that they would have started complaining and talking negatively that this was a waste of time. (lol)

He admonishes strongly against negative thinking, talk, and actions and encourages people not to go through life feeling they are victims. It's your life, you have the authority to be positive and God will help you. In many ways, his message of hope is the opposite of WTBTS where they teach you dependence upon the Governing Body.

I haven't given him or donated any money to his concern as his sermons are on Sirius XM and to my knowledge, you can download his sermons online at his website for free.

If you listen to enough of his sermons, I did get tired of him telling over again of his successful business adventures with his radio station and then getting the basketball stadium of the Houston Rockets, Compaq Center, from the city of Houston and then his "struggle" to get a loan for a $100 million renovation. But, I get tired of "people's" stories pretty quickly after hearing them the second time.

IMHO, Joel Osteen is an excellent speaker with not one "and, ugh", no guilt trips, or begging during his sermon for money. I'm sure as mentioned before, there are others who are better or more liked. His message is encouraging but not a "deep thoughts" kind of message. Later when you are thinking about it you can figure out how to apply it in your life.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I used to secretly listen to his dad occasionally when I was a JW kid growing up in Houston. I liked his Dad.

Joel is great for motivation. If you are doing sales grind all day, and if you are a believer, Joel is gold. But, you won't get much theology. He draws pretty sharp criticism from most conservative churches.

• LV101
    LV101

Sig - interesting info re/Osteen and JWs. His show use to be televised on Sunday morning - I finally caught one of his shows and was impressed. My friend says Osteen attended Dr. Stanley's church when a young boy - I don't know. I'll have to check out one of his programs again. I have a couple of friends who use to watch he and Joyce ? (even my Morman friend watched Joyce ?) - I couldn't believe.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's a shame people take these frauds for real.

...although a lot of us were Jobots.

• LV101
    LV101

punk - 😂 I'd never watched TV evangelizers but friend called and curiosity and all. He was very motivating and hear he's always like that. I reckon the WT was tad too motivating, also. We'll have you watching Osteen in no time.😂 One of my friends sent money in for a book -- blew through her slot machine or Keno shekels for the week so he must be convincing.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I liked his dad as well. The following may change some impressions about his theology.

https://youtu.be/OxM7Ox_WkaQ

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

At least these guys are honest, he’s a welfare Christian, so send him money and you will learn how to get rich (which I guess is correct, if you understand how he got rich, you can repeat the same formula), he doesn’t hide he is rich though, he doesn’t pretend modesty.

These guys have a huge marketing system developed, so I guess if he visits to the UK, he will pull thousands of people in an arena.

• nicolaou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit