Reason in Contrast to Religion as a Path to Enlightenment

by Oubliette 14 Replies latest members private

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oubliette that's what you get for posting a humdinger on a Sunday!! You need a no brainer 2 word answer question on Sunday!

I fully agree that one of the biggest blocks to mankinds'progress is religon.

Getting back to your op, the shining light at the end of my religous (tunnel)thinking was a short course on the philosophy of David Hume (as I'm a Hume), which lead me to review the enlightenment thinkers in general. Further to that I undertook some undergraduate courses in philosophy & law.

I think the final nail in the coffin for me was the question of the Witnesses much vaunted freewill (it's a gift you know!!)

and determinism. I fingured that in believing in an all knowing god, the witnesses did indeed believe in pre destination (an extreme form of determinism) and of course in human inherited sin (extreme personal responsibility). This would make the JW no benevelent god at all, in holding us accountable if the outcome of the choices we where forced to make did not please him.

But yes, reason is the lamp (to)which I hold, I "saught an honest (hearted)man," (when a JW)

Then, I held up my lamp to "seek god". I realized the philosophers "had killed god!!".

And I was kinda glad.

Sister Diogenes

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Further to phizzy above.

Biology is underpinned by

Chemistry is underpinned by

Physics is underpinned by

Maths * ⚽

But Philosophy underpins everything😄

* not Math 🏉

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

LoveUni Golden rule may be a good place to start but Kants catagorical Imperative is a better place to finish

God 0

Man 1

edited to add: The end of superstition (religon) is a given. Just a question of when. I give it 200 years tops

• prologos
    prologos
    sorry I missed that topic, Oubliette, what works for me? Reason has to be fed with good facts, science research supplies it. In my simple way I like to get into the frontier of cosmology, the astrophysics that made it all work. biology/evolution? works fine for me, therefore not a big subject of interest. Religion was for me about creation, work of a creator, I appreciate the sciences that feed good discoveries into my reasoning process on that.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

God 0

Man 1

I was advocating neither religion nor God, I was merely pointing out that the golden rule is a fairly good rule for society in general.

I give it 200 years tops - seriously?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit