Emergency 'grab bag' campaign accused of scaremongering

by pleaseresearch 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

A police campaign to get the public to prepare a "grab-and-go" bag in case of emergencies has been both criticised and mocked by social media users.

A Police Scotland tweet urged people to pack essentials such as a first aid kit, radio, torch, and food and water.

Its recommendations were part of an annual Preparedness Month, which is being promoted by local authorities and emergency services across the UK.

However, the police force has been accused of scaremongering.

The tweet read: "September is preparedness month. Emergencies can happen at any time and it's recommended to have a #GrabBag ready containing essential items including medication, copies of important documents, food/water, torch, radio and other personal items."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49631455

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

when someone finds himself in a bad emergency situation ,that is when one will realise that these measures are not for scaremongering but for better preparedness. It is kind of a survival kit,emergency kit in a car, first aid in the house,emergency hotline numbers for the police,hospitals etc.I even travel with some essential medicines always.Does this mean I am scaremongering or wanting something bad to happen to me? Not ! This is no different.

Why does one want to find out the hard way or may I say some people do want to find it out the hard way!

If one does not like it then do not have a grab bag,simple.

Zing

• blondie
    blondie

I remember talking to a coworker who had lived in California in the "fire" zone. A fire came up quickly and he was not prepared. He had no time to gather up his important papers all over the house, think about what else he should grab (almost forgot the dog). After that he started putting important things together in one place in a carry bag. He added things when he realized that he would need it. The most important thing his family rehearsed, was where they would gather in one spot (with a backup) and count heads so everyone would get into the car. They also did the same if they were split up for any reason have a central gathering place.

People at work and school have fire drills to get people to know and remember automatically where the fire doors are (also an alternative if that is blocked by fire), where to go outside the building far enough away, have a particular place their bureau should gather and have a head count. The fire department would time the employees and then have reminders for things that should be adjusted.

Why not at home?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Anything that the WTS suggests does NOT make it "wrong" just be cause WTS suggests it.

Emergency Preparedness is a good idea that is recommended by many agencies.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Why would the police want you to bring a torch? I can see water extra food gas for the car. Whats with a torch do you plan on cutting doors or locks open?

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Torch=flashlight

• cofty
    cofty

What possible emergency do people living in Corstorphine need to be prepared for?

Glaswegians will keep a few cans of Irn Bru and a bottle of Buckie handy.

Utter bollocks. Police Scotland have got far more important problems to worry about.

• Simon
    Simon

Some of it depends on where you live - I don't think many people face natural disasters but whatever comes up, you can't Amazon Prime it when you need it and everything has gone pear shaped. Your only chance to prepare for all eventualities is to do it in advance.

How prepared you want to be is up to you, a SHTF grab-bag is a decent idea and good advice. It doesn't mean you need a years supply of freeze-dried food in your basement (but why not?!)

The police definitely have more important things to focus on, but a tweet probably didn't take up much time or resource.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That depends on which Corstorphine you live in, Cofty. In Corstorphine in New Zealand, you can't buy Buckfast and the ground shakes more often.

• cofty
    cofty

Black Sheep - I think it would be difficult to find a Scottish town name that doesn't have a parallel in NZ. Even the farm I live on has a twin in Dunedin (New Edinburgh).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit