Are there 'ultra strict' congregations?

by jambon1 34 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

When I studied as a young adult, it was in one of those congregations.

Having viewed the religion as a quaint little band of christians it conpletely dumbfounded me when I was told about such rules as 1 - no beards. 2 - you MUST wear a suit to meetings and while giving a talk. I just didn't understand such an invasion on personal choice. To my shame I conformed. I wish I'd told them to ram it up their arse.

Our hall was absolutely famous in the area for an elder implemented rule that forbade a brother giving a talk while wearing a mis-matching jacket and trousers. Also, they had a white shirt in the cloak room for any visiting elders who showed up to give a public talk wearing a coloured shirt.

Needless to say, the place was filled with rampant hypocrisy, favouritism and nepotism among the elders and their families.

I moved from there to a more 'wishy-washy' congregation shortly after joining the religion

Madness.

• Simon
    Simon
    they had a white shirt in the cloak room for any visiting elders who showed up to give a public talk wearing a coloured shirt

That in itself shows up that it's a local rule and therefore invalid. If it was legitimate, then it would be the rule that everyone knew about and that all congregations in the circuit / district adhered to as the standard to follow.

And to make it into a forced "change your shirt to THIS one" makes it clear that it was some elder's personal power-trip, his chance to lord it over everyone. Which means he probably spent his day job sweeping up crap and being told what to do.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Although I never heard of the white shirt policy or ones been held on hand. I certainly do remember sports jackets been banned and having to have a matching suite when doing talks or duties. I do remember one speaker doing a talk in a none matching suite and that was a bit of a scandel. Quite silly now I reflect on it.

• jambon1
    jambon1

:)

One really nice brother left our hall as he liked to wear a non matching jacket and trousers and was persecuted for it by the elders.

The guy looked smart and neat and clean and smelled fantastic. Unlike the pish stained suits the elders wore.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

It's tit for tat...as I was pushing to become a MS I got counselled for not wearing a "suit" on the TMS by the PO...years later when I was an elder his son, who was pushing to become a MS, gave a talk with no jacket...you can guess what I brought up when we discussed him at an elder meeting.

PO was raging...one rule for other people and one rule for friends and family.

Seen it way too many times...JW's have the massive issue in that the leaders cherry pick when they choose what to press as law when opinion.

Sick of it. So glad I got out.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w89 11/1 pp. 29-30 Do You See Only the Outward Appearance? ***Our view of others is very limited compared to Jehovah’s, who reads the heart. (1 Chronicles 28:9) Appreciating this will prevent us from becoming modern-day, self-righteous Pharisees, trying to press people into our own man- made mold of righteousness in order that they might fit our concept of what is correct. If we try to see people as God sees them, we will not require more of them than he does. We will “not go beyond the things that are written.” (1 Corinthians 4:6) This is especially important for Christian elders to take to heart.—1 Peter 5:2, 3. We can illustrate this in the matter of dress. The Bible requirement—God’s requirement—is that a Christian’s clothing must be neat and clean, well-arranged and not betraying a lack of “modesty and soundness of mind.” (1 Timothy 2:9; 3:2) Obviously, then, the elders in one congregation went “beyond the things that are written” a few years ago by requiring every public speaker in their congregation to wear a white shirt, even though pastel colors were generally acceptable in that country. Guest speakers who showed up with a colored shirt were asked to change into one of several white shirts kept in the Kingdom Hall for just such emergencies.

-----------If you note though, I have never seen a speaker at a circuit assembly, special day, or convention on the platform with anything but a white shirt. One elder had to sub for a brother at the last minute due to illness, and another elder was asked to take over the part in 10 minutes, but, lo he did not have a white shirt on. They ran around until they found a brother about his size and they changed shirts. Jehovah's organization was saved from his light blue shirt.

• Steel
    Steel

My wife went back to her first cong the other day because we went to visit my parents. The elders are notorious dickheads. Even other dubs have told us please don't judge us all by that Cong.

After I asked her how many children were there in attendance. She said none. Literally the entire Gen x generation has been disfellowshiped. Those assholes are kind of the good guys. Even almost got my wife to leave.

It's this hip and cool new cong that scares me more.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Jambon1 > Also, they had a white shirt in the cloak room for any visiting elders who showed up to give a public talk wearing a coloured shirt.

Okay, I take it that elders wear white shirts, but only while giving talks or all the time?

Relating to the beard issue, let's say I have a neatly trimmed beard and am doing the Bible study thing. When do they tell me the beard has to go?

Before baptism or after baptism? And have any of you had the distinct experience of informing someone with a beard that it has to go, or do the elders do that? Any interesting reactions that anyone can share?

What if someone resists? Or says that their skin breaks out? Or they have a sales job and that their beards hide a droopy neck or something?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve been to a lot of Kingdom Halls, rules were different everywhere..

As long as the money keeps rolling in and no WBT$ Rules are broken..

The WBT$ lets JW Elders rule their own little (pile of sh*t) WBT$/JW Kingdoms..

Any way they like..

Image result for King ShitImage result for Businessman with crown

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, some are worse than others. I remember a neighboring congregation back in the day filled with over-righteous, hung-ho types who all thought they were going to march hand in hand into the new system.

Some of them must have really thought they were like characters in the Old Testament.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit