<---North County of St. Louis girl ;)

Jackie

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Sheila and I are in KC.

We had friends from Poplar Bluff.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I was born in Cassville, Missouri but we moved away when I was 5. That was 1967.

• gumby
    gumby

Nina and Big T.

My moms side of the family......"the snows" are from springfield and Joplin. She used to tell me stories of how the brothers were tarred and feathered, and sent down rails there at one point ( I don't remember the year) I guess those damn "show me people" didn't like the "brothers" having......'nothing to show'

She also told me how they kicked her and her 7 siblings out of school there, for not taking a vaccination as they were not allowed at the time.

Gumby

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Wow, although honestly gumby I'm not surprised. That part of the world is somewhat insular and close knit in that anyone not in step with the majority is not welcome. I think that is why fraternal orders, such as the Masons, are so popular there. Last time I visited I was surprised to see the number of cars with those little Masons stickers on the windshield. I can only imagine how the Witnesses were treated during the 40s and 50s. I've heard stories of how the JW men were tarred and feathered.

Snow? Doesn't ring a bell, although my maternal grandmother lives near Joplin in a town called Aurora. My birth surname was Presley. No, not related. My cousins have a show in Branson called "Presley's Mountain Magic".

Have you ever visited there? It's really quite nice. Great fishing, if you're in to that. Best lake to swim in is Table Rock, there are parts of it that are 200 feet deep.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just curious..at the fest I noticed (I think) that whereas the Brits say Miss- soor - i, (the i as in "it".)Americans say M'sur-ah.

Is that right?

Englishman.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hey E-man,

having grown up in Missouri I think I can answer that question.

I noticed that people from the big cities of Missouri say Mis sur i (ee)

and those from the country say Mis sur a (like ahhh, short a)

We don't pay attention to pronuntiations like you Brits do, I say, when in Rome.......so I'll talk the accent I'm around.

But it is the "show-me" state. Pretty bullheaded people from that state, or haven't you noticed! lol

hugs,

j2bf

• copsec
    copsec

Thundar,

Who did you know in Poplar Bluff? I am sure I would prolly know them also!

• gumby
    gumby

Mi-zur-a.....is how my aunts and uncles said it......that always bugged me.

Tex...... I went to my friends wedding in missouri but was there only a couple of days.

I do remember eating at a resteraunt and I saw "pigs in a blanket" on the menu. When the waitress came by I said to her, " the last time I ordered pigs in a blanket, they brought me a picture of my parents in bed." I think it was an old Rodney Dangerfield joke. Anyways.....that pissed her off bad and she let me know so. She said..."sir.....that isn't being very respectfull of your parents". I thought 'damn!.......I was just jokin!'

Anyways......people there have a very different type of humor, and values, than the western end of the U.S.

Gumby

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Copsec,

The Fosters and the Becks come to mind.

Its been 20 years ago. But the dubs do tend to be generational. I'm sure their still there.

They'd probably flip to hear that Thunder and I escaped!

Sheila

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit