When JWs call...

by Mysterious 16 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

The dorms here are off limits to door to door. The congregation holding the territory gets the names from the university and sends letters.

We are inactive JWs but living outside the territory. Few in the congregation holding this territory know who we are let alone where we live. We have been left old magazines in the door (visible from the street, a no-no).

If the ones calling don't know you are a JW, it might be good to be prepared to get them thinking. Not blasting them with every issue, UN, abuse, blood, shunning, but use their own Bible to get them to think, like JamesThomas said.

Blondie

• acsot
    acsot

(((Scully))) - So you're not DF'd? It's cruel, like emotional blackmail. Not that it surprises me though.

• Scully
    Scully

((( acsot ))) no... i'm not DF'd... it was really uncomfortable at first, but eventually the conversation went sort of the way I wanted it to...

The JWs Came Calling...

Love, Scully

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

They stopped by here Monday morning. I was up reading my email and the forum post and heard a knock.

They said they were here to see Debbie-my mom. Before I thought, I invited them in out from the cold and went and woke her up.

I have berated myself for a few days now, 'WTF was I thinking?' I've decided to just pin it on me being generally a nice guy and let it go. It does bother me a bit that my mom is back on their 'Radar'. They left 8 mags, but not the one I wanted-January 1 issue.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Hi, Mysterious.

When I was filling out the paperwork for college (with my JW mother looking over my shoulder--this was before I'd come out), there was a space on the dorm app for "religious affiliation." So of course, to keep my mother happy, I wrote "Jehovah's Witness."

What I didn't know was that the dorm directors contacted the nearest church for students and let them know you were in the dorm and gave out your phone number. So about a week after I landed at school, I got a call from one of the elders. Now he was obviously very uncomfortable--and more than a little skeptical. I remember him saying something like "Are you really a Witness? Because we've never had a Witness go to ____ University." And I was freaked--there go all my carefully laid plans to never set foot in a Kingdom Hall again! As I was eighteen years old and very naive, it never occurred to me that I didn't have to treat Mr. Brother Elder with all due respect.

So I'm hemming and hawing--and all the while terrified that, if they know where I am, they'll call my mother--something I was very justified in fearing. Finally, I said "Well, you know, it's really my mother that's a Witness. I've just been to a few meetings." (Theocratic war strategy, I guess! since I'd been to my first meeting three days after my birth, and thereafter three days a week for eighteen years).

He called a couple of times after that, too, trying to arrange to pick me up for meetings, but I just had my roommate answer the phone for a couple of months. He must have figured I wasn't really a Witness anyway, and just let it go. After all, this was 1978--and they'd "never had a Witness go to ____ University." In 1978, the local elders in my congregation were still encouraging JW teens to drop out of school and get a GED so they could pioneer unimpeded.

So, words of advice from one who's been there: do all you can to make sure that your contact information at school is kept private. If your mother tells them where you are (and mine's done this a couple of times--written a letter that sicced the local congregation on me), have your roommate answer the phone or get an answering machine and screen calls. They won't be able to actually get into the dorm to see you if you don't give permission--they'll get stopped at the desk (or at least that's been the case at all the universities I've attended and taught at).

And never, never, never put "Jehovah's Witness" down as your religion on any form. I didn't realize at the time how dangerous that was--if something had happened to me, the university, acting in loco parentis, would have undoubtedly called my clergy of choice, and then I'd have had the damn elders at the hospital.

Best,

Jankyn

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

They still go door to door here I wish they would leave me alone I'm not interested and have made this very very clear.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I used to see the jaydubs in our trailer park from time to time -- but not since my daughter was about twelve.

That was the year she thought of an elegant strategem: she followed them from house to house (trailer to trailer) telling all the neighors how awful it had been to grow up as a jaydub.

As far as I know, they haven't been back since -- it's been 8 years.

Michaele

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit