Belief in God Can Be Turned Off Like a Light Switch

by cofty 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

It is fascinating how more discovery about how the brain functions is shedding new light (ha) on "spirituality".

There was an article a few weeks ago about out of body experiences and how they can be triggered. Nothing to do with near death but the same triggers can apply.

Boom, religion retreats as science advances. Science kicks religions ass - run religion run !

• cofty
    cofty
    I don't think we can get rid of religion until people have their basic needs filled - Xanthippe

I agree. When Marx called religion "the opium of the people" it was more of a complaint about the oppression that makes the comfort of religion necessary than it was a complaint about religion...

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r

Interesting!

We who consider ourselves logical, rational thinkers should try this.

That way we can find out a lot of our biases and our ideological thinking that we are unaware of.

We humans like to think that we base our decisions and beliefs on rational thinking. But this is often not the case. We commonly resort to "lazy" thinking unconsciously. (cognitive shortcut that usually involve feelings instead of facts)

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r

Sometimes missapplied, the quote in context:

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people"
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

So, just wondering, what would be the possible application of something like this?

It sorta, kinda, reminds me of a magnetic variation of electroconvulsive therapy, which is used to treat severe depression.
    (Not saying this research isn't useful, I don't know enough. Just wondering what if any conclusion, or application.)

• cofty
    cofty

No application at all as far as I can see.

It is just a bit of research into how different areas of our brain are involved in types of thinking and behaviour..

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Just asking in case I missed it.

Interesting research, thanks cofty.

• runForever
    runForever
    “The fool has said in his heart, ‘There is no God’” - GOD
  • cofty
    cofty
    The fool is the one that hangs on to a superstition and calls it faith.
  • C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r
    The fool is the one that hangs on to a superstition and calls it faith.

Is there a distinction? :P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit