Belief in God Can Be Turned Off Like a Light Switch

by cofty 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Researchers in York used magnetic stimulation to target an area of the brain called the medial frontal cortex in a group of volunteers. A control group received a sham treatment.

Both groups were asked to think about death. The group who experienced the magnetic energy reported 32.8% less belief in angels, god and heaven.

When faced with difficult challenges people often take refuge in ideology. By shutting down this specific area of the brain participants were less likely to reach for the comfort of religious ideas to solve their problems.

The following observation was interesting in the context of trying to help JW friends are relatives...

We think that hearing criticisms of your group’s values, perhaps especially from a person you perceive as an outsider, is processed as an ideological sort of threat,” said Izuma.

“One way to respond to such threats is to ‘double down’ on your group values, increasing your investment in them, and reacting more negatively to the critic,” he said.

“When we disrupted the brain region that usually helps detect and respond to threats, we saw a less negative, less ideologically motivated reaction to the critical author and his opinions,” he said.

Interesting that all that certainty about god can be switched off by a magnet on your forehead!

Source...

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

This should be rolled out nationally asap!

• galaxie
    galaxie
    The affected remote influence on the brain, contra the normal neuro conscious reasoning are ' poles apart ' .
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Can we have global legislation passed to mandate magnetic attachment to all human heads immediately please?
  • prologos
    prologos
    manipulating the human brain (or chimp's) is not very relevant to the universe at large, the quoted source also offers your horoscope, by the way. I would like to read it in Nature, Scientific American too.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Maybe targeting another part of the brain could produce the opposite effect of increased belief in God.

Of else maybe the experiment tends to show that lack of belief in God results from outside manipulation rather than either innate gut feeling or rational dialogue.

I saw a book in the bookshop the other day called "We are our brains", which I now have a gut reaction against. It is the strong materialist conception of consciousness and the world generally and it is the orthodoxy of the age we live in. But I tend to be less and less convinced of this world view. We are more than our brains. There is a self that requires more explanation and deserves more credit than its material parts. I find Raymond Tallis and Thomas Nagel somewhat persuasive in these matters.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    The group who experienced the magnetic energy reported 32.8% less belief in angels, god and heaven. - Cofty
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Now I know why some wear tin foil hats!

Joking apart, that is a very interesting bit of research.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    And here I was thinking that a frontal lobotomy was the requirement to be "religious"?
  • prologos
    prologos
    ""Now I know why some wear tin foil hats! A Gaussian cage does wonders

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit