info on why JWs can't go into other churches

by banco6 17 Replies latest jw friends

• banco6
    banco6

I would like to know why JWs can't enter another church,for funerals or anything?

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

Welcome banco6!

If you would enter the church you would participate in 'babylon the great' and take part in their sins, like worshiping Satan. It is just said it's false religion. You could be disfellowshipped for becoming part of that - the same reason you have to got 'out of Babylon'.

w70 3/15 pp. 191-192 Questions from Readers ***

May

dedicated Christians attend church funerals of other religious organizations??C. S., U.S.A.

Some Christians may feel obligated to attend a church funeral because of a debt of gratitude, because a close relative is involved or due to pressures from an unbelieving mate. But before doing so each one should consider the various factors involved and the possible alternatives. While doing so is not forbidden by the Christian congregation, such a course is certainly fraught with dangers and problems.

First of all, it is well to remember that a church funeral is not held primarily to afford friends an opportunity to console the bereaved family. Usually that is done in the funeral parlor beforehand or by visiting the family in their home. The church funeral is really a religious service. It therefore is likely to involve a sermon advocating such unscriptural ideas as the immortality of the soul and that all good people go to heaven. It may also involve unscriptural practices such as making the sign of the cross and most likely the joining in united prayer with a priest or minister of another religion. Of course, a Christian could not take part in such, in view of the command at Revelation 18:4.

In this regard Japanese funerals represent a real test for dedicated Christian wives with unbelieving husbands. If they attend the funeral, their name is called out and they are expected to go up and offer incense and a prayer to the dead. So, many of such Japanese Christians have decided that it is better not to attend these funerals.

Some dedicated Christians have attended church funerals because they wanted to stay close to the immediate family and support them. So they went to the funeral parlor, to the church funeral and then even to the grave. They might have been able to do all that without personally committing any false religious act. There are, of course, spiritual hazards in going to any place of false worship.

True, a Christian wife whose husband is an unbeliever and who wants her to attend a church funeral might look to the example of Naaman. He was the Syrian general who was cured of leprosy by bathing himself seven times in the Jordan River at the command of the prophet Elisha. Because of this miraculous cure Naaman was determined never to worship any other god than Jehovah. But that would be a hard thing for him to do because he was still in the service of his king. He helped the king get around and so would have to go with him into the house of the pagan god Rimmon. He might even have to help the king bow down. So he asked that Jehovah God forgive him and not hold this against him. Naaman, who had become a true worshiper of Jehovah, was not himself worshiping this false god; he was only there under orders.?2 Ki. 5:1-19.

And so with the Christian wife who has an unbelieving husband. If her husband insisted that on a certain occasion she go with him to a church funeral of a relative or family friend she might feel that she could act in a way similar to that in which Naaman did?be present on that occasion but not share in any acts of false religion. But whether she went would be up to her to decide. She would have to resolve the conflict between respect for her husband?s wishes and obedience to Jehovah and the dictates of her conscience, trained by God?s Word.?1 Pet. 3:16.

Yes, her conscience would be involved. Why? Because others might see her, one of Jehovah?s witnesses, entering the church, and they might be stumbled. She would therefore have to consider that possibility. As the apostle Paul wrote: "Make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ."?Phil. 1:10.

Better it would be if such a wife tried to explain her position to her husband. She would do well to pick a time when he was relaxed and in a good frame of mind, taking a lesson from Queen Esther, and then tactfully try to explain why she felt she could not attend such a church funeral. Among other things, she could point out that if she attended and did not take part in the ritual it might be very embarrassing to others, and especially to her husband. So an unbelieving husband might agree, out of love for his wife, respect for her religious scruples and a desire to avoid embarrassment.?Esther 5:1-8.

But might one offend the bereaved family by not attending? Only if one ignored the death entirely. One would not need to do that. A person could do things to show that he was sympathetic and interested in helping. He could go to the funeral parlor beforehand, express condolences to the family and offer practical help. A person could bring over food if need be, or cook a meal there for the family, or watch the children, relieving the adults of that responsibility temporarily. Then the family would not think that the person was unloving just because he did not attend the church funeral.

Thus there is no need for a Christian to feel obligated to go to a church funeral of another religious organization, where there may be the temptation to give in to pressure and follow the crowd when everyone else is performing some false religious act. Thus also the danger of performing an act of apostasy and displeasing Jehovah God can be avoided. But each one must decide for oneself on the basis of circumstances and one?s own conscience.

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

But thats assuming that the WTS is the true religion, as we all know the WTS is no better then any other religion, in fact, in many ways they are worst. So there is no real reason why a EX-JW can't go where he likes. It surprises me to read that many who have left the WT still have guilt feelings and are frightened to go to other church's.

• fran
    fran

I used to be afraid of Churches,thought i would see demons popping up everywhere,even looked for them,this is the crazy world and mindset of JWS,.....suggest 'placing'all WT and Awakes in the ...............................BIN,

• Gopher
    Gopher
    It surprises me to read that many who have left the WT still have guilt feelings and are frightened to go to other church's.

Some of us can't really see any benefit in organized religion. Maybe it's that we've been preached at so much while a JW, and now we don't want a man or men telling us how they think God ought to be worshipped or telling us what THEY think morality and wisdom are, etc.

I actually went to a Christmas play in a friend's church, and felt no guilt or anything. It actually felt good to be free to attend or not, as I wished.

• topanga
    topanga

because you will find out they have been affiliated with many of them secretly, like the UN active membership.

because you'll find out that what wt does is exactly the same as far as immorality money and the business side of religion.

the same reason they discouraged college , they have something to hide from you.

once you figure out the religious system in america you wont be such a sucker and easily fooled anymore.

in the bible peter and jesus often spent time with persons of other faiths to teach them or sometimes even for fellowship.

A visit to scientology center. who trained many jehovah witnesses in how to run an organization and group processing techniques is eye opening.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I used to be afraid to go too. If I did go to a rare funeral or wedding, when the prayer was given, I tried so hard to pray to Jehovah and block out the words they were saying to my mind, as if it was a danger to hear. Now that I look back, we sure did get a lot of phobias as JWs. No wonder we come out scarred!!

~~Sassy~~

• JeenaMaya
    JeenaMaya

HI

1. Just by entering a church you are not participating in 'babylon the great' - entering a building (Whether a church, mosque, synagogue, temple etc) is not enough to stain you with sin. What is in your heart and mind that is important and matters to God. If you live a good, honest, Godly life, do you think God would punish you just for entering a building belonging to a different faith? If you believe that building belongs to a false religion, that is in your heart and mind, and that is what matters to the Holy one. Babylon the great sits on many waters, in all nations, entering a building is not enough to become part of her.

2. No Christian churches worship Satan. Note that in Revelations 2:13 it states Jehovah knows your works, 'even where Satan's seat is,' and you who hold fast in his name have not denied his faith. So by entering a building alone you are not denying your JW faith, even if this is where Satan's seat is. It is what is in your mind, Jehovah 'knows your works,' which matters.

3. If you could be disfellowshipped for entering a building, what does that say about the fellowship you belong to? It is not important where you feet tread, it is important what your heart and mind believes, it is important what you follow. Listen to the wisdom of the members of your fellowship, but ensure you are following what is in your heart and mind from your own understanding of Jehovah and the Devine, ensure you are not just following the words of man. You should not be afraid of being disfellowshipped by man, humans, people, it is Jehovah who you must follow, not human statements.

4. Oddly enough JW can fit the Revelations statements of Babylon to other Christians. Just as to JW the Christians can fit the statements on Babylon. You make a choice to what you believe, and how you understand the Holy words in Revelations.

5. Remember that Revelation 1 starts with Jesus Christ, 'to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass,' and remember that Jesus Christ entered the Temple of the Jews and drove out all who went into the Temple to buy and sell and were doing ungodly things in this Jewish Temple to God (Matthew 21:12). Remember the testimony of Jesus Christ and look to it to consider whether you are following the code of behaviour Jehovah wants you to follow. If you have an ear, let yourself hear what the spirit says to the churches.

6. Then in revelations 2:9 we have the statement that Jehovah knows the blasphemy of those which say they are Jews and are not, but are in the 'synagogue of Satan.' One can reason that this, combined with Matthew 21:12 where Jesus Christ enters the Temple of Jerusalem, (a 'synagogue of Satan'), Jesus Christ did not become part of 'Babylon the Prostitute' (Revelations 17) just by entering a building.

Thus it is my personal understanding that it is fine for JW to enter a religious building, like a church, attend a funeral or a marriage, or religious service, without becoming stained by what one believes to be their 'false worship.' As long as you hold fast in your own belief, Jehovah will know this. If you are afraid to enter another's religious service because you are concerned you may not hold strong your own belief, Jehovah will know this too, and this shows how weak your faith is. Be true and strong in your belief in your route to Jehovah, God the Devine.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    doing so is not forbidden by the Christian congregation

That is all you need. I did go in as a JW, even as an elder. I decided it was okay and I did not inform anyone in the congregation because they would get all "judgey" !

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Re-reading these sorts of articles now, makes me chuckle a bit at the pure disingenuous double-think:

therefore is likely to involve a sermon advocating such unscriptural ideas

Pot, meet kettle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit