Funeral Fashion

by ThinkerBelle 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle

I have a funeral to attend for a non JW family member and the JDub family member reminded me that I should not wear black. For the life of me, I can't recall where this belief came from in JW teachings and I'm born in. Is there something in print or is that just a personal opinion belief? Is it tied to something pagan (oh, surprise!)?

For the record, I am going to wear black just to be spiteful (PIMO).

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yes, please wear something black!

• zeb
    zeb

So now they have rules for funeral wear?

I attend a funeral to show respects for the departed and to give support to their family.... a bit to often lately.... the last thing on my mind is to listen to some nagging rule hungry self righteous little worm ..

Wear what you like ...............and stand next to him!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Mankind's Search for God/Chapter 4/pages 69-70/pars. 3-4/

3 Of course, fear of the deities, especially of unknown ones, is not limited to the Athenians of the first century. For thousands of years, it has dominated nearly all mankind. In many parts of the world, almost every aspect of the people’s life is directly or indirectly involved with some deity or with spirits. As we have seen in the previous chapter, the mythologies of the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Chinese, and others were deeply rooted in ideas about gods and spirits, which played an important role in personal and national affairs. During the Middle Ages, stories about alchemists, sorcerers, and witches were rampant throughout the realm of Christendom. And the situation is much the same today.

Rites and Superstitions Today
    4 Whether people are aware of it or not, many things that they do are linked with superstitious practices or beliefs, some having to do with deities or spirits. For example, did you know that birthday observance has its origin in astrology, which attaches great importance to one’s exact birth date? What about the birthday cake? It appears to be related to the Greek goddess Artemis, whose birthday was celebrated with moon-shaped honey cakes topped with candles. Or did you know that wearing black at funerals was originally a ruse to escape the attention of evil spirits said to be lurking on such occasions? Some black Africans paint themselves white, and mourners in other lands wear unusual colors so that the spirits will not recognize them.

Atlantis!
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

See bottom half of paragraph 4.

Atlantis!
  • carla
    carla

I thought I knew most of the ridiculous rules & regulations, this is a new one on me!

I would remind the jw the history of a mans tie-

Most sartorialists agree that the necktie originated in the 17th century, during the 30 year war in France. King Louis XIII hired Croatian mercenaries (see picture above) who wore a piece of cloth around their neck as part of their uniform. While these early neckties did serve a function (tying the top of their jackets that is), they also had quite a decorative effect – a look that King Louis was quite fond of. In fact, he liked it so much that he made these ties a mandatory accessory for Royal gatherings, and – to honor the Croatian soldiers – he gave this clothing piece the name “La Cravate” – the name for necktie in French to this day.-https://www.tie-a-tie.net/the-evolution-of-the-necktie/

Most people today do try to wear black or dark and subdued colors. It is considered a sign of respect for the deceased and the mourners.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Great quote Atlantis, thanks for digging that up. I almost laughed when I read the part about in some parts of the world a person's entire life involves some spirit or deity...

Like Jehovah's Witnesses, who let 'Jehovah' decide their life from sunup till sundown?

• Scully
    Scully

But black is so slimming, especially when paired with black hosiery and underwear!

• ThinkerBelle
    ThinkerBelle

Thank you, Atlantis! I assumed there had to be something in print for this particular person to run with it. I always thought it was meant a sign of respect and I have been to funerals where certain colors or types of clothes were requested also to honor the passed one.

I think pretty much everything the jdubs preach now is because of paganism, without realizing they accept many things that have the same roots. Ugh, I'm so done, fading can be a drag sometimes!

Scully, yes, I wear a lot of black....why would I go out of my way to not, LOL!

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, and the gold wedding band is of pagan origin, first worn (obviously) by those few (usually royalty) who could afford the expense and later spreading throughout most classes in ancient Rome.

As for the clean shaven face and short back and sides haircut for men credit should go to pagan Rome.

Meanwhile, in the Middle East of the early Christian era, full facial beards and mid-length hair were the norm for men. Take note JW org.

Now, if JW org is so intent on expunging pagan influences from the rank and file, especially habits of dress and grooming, it's got a helluva distance to go....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit