How do you feel about the elders?

by Lost in the fog 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

How realistic is it to say that 100% of elders were "douchebags"? I just don't agree. I know I wasn't. The torture of being a non-douchbag is what made escape possible. I met a few honorable men during my time in captivity. Sorry for your typical experience within the monkey house. Mine was atypical I guess. Don't get me wrong, I met some of the worst as well. Ugh.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    wassy - How realistic is it to say that 100% of elders were "douchebags"? I just don't agree. I know I wasn't.

Neither was I. I was un-douchy enough to wake up and rebel against the douchyness.

• asp59
    asp59

The search for power they have is gonna kill themselves.

Maybe they feel powerful when they DF someone.

But that's one person less to give donation and help in congregation.

They have rutin shooting them self in the foot in this preach cooperation.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LOST IN THE FOG:

My opinion is low. Elders are company men. Some, naturally kinder or smarter than others.

I learned to stay away from them because their only interest in me (as a single working woman) was to scrutinize my attire or low publisher hours...I also had no intention of following in the footsteps of other (foolish) single women who did favors for all the users.

This seemed to be the “position” that elders wanted single women to be in. I wasn’t having any of it - not after being criticized for my full time job!

The elders were unable or unwilling to relate to a woman who worked and instead concentrated on people who invited them over for dinners. Some elders (and their idiot wives) imagined I “had no problems”.. I was on my own and I knew it.

I did not bother with elders and would only greet them if they greeted me first.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    asp59 - Maybe they feel powerful when they DF someone.

I'm sure many do. I lost a lot of sleep before JCs as an Elder. No one was DF'd on my watch. Despite me not being a bully boy company man elder, I was always dead against DFing. I thought it was cruel. Hopefully, there are elders still in the congos not quite awake enough to leave but compassionate enough to care.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Christian elders are not to be dictatorial, domineering, arbitrary, or harsh. Imitating Christ’s example, they endeavor to be loving, considerate, humble, and kind in their dealings with the sheep entrusted to their care.

The writer has obviously never met the elders of Speke congregation. If ever there were pharisee's in this religion they're in Speke!

• dozy
    dozy

I was an elder for 15 years - also my father , uncle and grandfather were as well. Most elders are decent enough people - just trying to do a pretty crappy , thankless job in often difficult circumstances. Yes - there were a few assholes - power hungry little men - but you will get that in any walk of life.

As far as wanting to DF people is concerned , I agree with the poster punkofnice - it's pretty much the last resort in most cases. We had a few judicial cases and bent over backwards not to DF people. It was the last thing we wanted to do.

It only happened once when I was involved - one guy had cheated on his wife at least 3 times and previously twice been reproved, his wife had finally ditched him and we really discussed hard whether we had an option to cut him some more slack again but we felt we had no choice.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Christian elders are ALWAYS to be dictatorial, domineering, arbitrary, or harsh. NEVER Imitating Christ’s example, they endeavor to be UNloving,INconsiderate, just plain c****s, and UNkind in their dealings with the sheep entrusted to their care.

There. Fixed it.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Just remember as a elder we were always taught you cannot trust the friends to do the right thing. That advice given by the CO always had a different effect on me. Instead of thinking the friends would always do the wrong thing I always thought the vast majority would do the right thing. Maybe my subconscious was trying to tell me to look deeper into how they are trying to control us. As I said before the wt. cult makes good men into dangerous men by their thought control teaching of the elders. So your feelings are very justified. Still Totally ADD

• venus
    venus

Jesus had already called elder arrangement as pagan when he said: "But Jesus called them to Himself and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant," (Mathew 20:25, 26)

Behind the words, he concealed the notion we are familiar with: No ladder of authority among Christians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit