How do you feel about the elders?

by Lost in the fog 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Oh dear, I recently made a comment about an elder being dogmatic. And one of his best buddies sent me a WT article to help me realign my mind or something.

This is where reality separates from fantasy and fiction. This elder believes that just because it is there in print then it automatically must be true of him and his best friend personally. How wonderful, loving and caring they all are, as they interfere in your life and spy on your dealings, which is as far removed from Christ's example as possible.

Quote :

"The elders in the Christian congregation are under obligation to learn to be like Christ. Peter gave the older men, or elders, this exhortation: “Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.” (1 Pet. 5:1-3) Christian elders are not to be dictatorial, domineering, arbitrary, or harsh. Imitating Christ’s example, they endeavor to be loving, considerate, humble, and kind in their dealings with the sheep entrusted to their care."

W10, 5/15.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    "The elders in the Christian congregation are under obligation to learn to be like Christ.

So, they must become legends that probably didn't exist.

Peter gave the older men, or elders,

See how they manipulate ancient writings to be about themselves?

this exhortation: “Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.” (1 Pet. 5:1-3)

Then why are watchtower corporation rules the very opposite? Cruel and always begging for money?

Christian elders are not to be dictatorial, domineering, arbitrary, or harsh. Imitating Christ’s example, they endeavor to be loving, considerate, humble, and kind in their dealings with the sheep entrusted to their care."

What a load of bunkum. Are they taling about the same window cleaners and milk men that carry the cruel 'Flock' book? Do me a bleedin' favour.

there are different types of elders in my experience.

Reluctant uncle types.

Mental cases.

Ego maniacs.

Bullies.

Those that genuinely care but are stifled because of corporation policy and bully elders.

I found that it was the bully boys that ruled the congregation. Those that were genuine shepherds didn't last long.

Let's recult, it's a view.

May the crabs of a billion scrotums invade the rectums of the Governing body!

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Elders? Men who are willing to sacrifice all traces of human decency and reasoning in order to keep their position of authority and the approval of their charlatan masters.

Try saying this to one of these wolves in sheep's clothing, and see if they are prepared to follow the Bible's counsel:

"Excuse me brother Elder, but I have to say that in all my years as a servant of Jehovah, [WTBTS] I've never met a single Elder who ever applied this Bible teaching to themselves" - ....Openly confess your sins to one another. (James 5:16)

• MightyV8
    MightyV8

Agree totally with you punkofnice.

Elders don't even know who Jesus is except around memorial time and absolutely they are not Christ-like.

Elders are more like the Scribes and Pharisees burdening the people with more batshit crazy ideas then you can poke a stick at.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Pretty good summation punkofnice.

Though there still are some nice loving brothers out there, but they are more rare than ever.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

I agree with ttdtt. The cult makes many good men into dangerous men. Still Totally ADD

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Most of the elders I worked with side-by-side in the two Congs where I was an elder were mostly sincere guiys. There were one of two pompous (prominent) assholes who had become addicted to the "power & prestige". They were Company Men and they were the shakers & movers at the Circuit & District level. They also had crap on their face from their lack of depth perception as they were always trying to "brown nose" the COs/DOs/Bethel heavies. *

I think many/most of the genuine sincere type are no longer serving as elders. A person can only take getting kicked around for so long, and then they decide it's not worth the trouble. Serving as an elder and doing it "right" is A LOT of work with no compensation and little appreciation in return. And of course, the best of them have discovered the TTATT and are with us here.

* The difference between a brown-nose and a shithead is merely depth perception.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Some elders have been kind and truly cared about the people in the congregation. I have often found that they are the ones who eventually step down because the stress becomes too great. Those who want assistance from an elder tend to gravitate towards those elders. As such, they tend to bear the brunt of the work.

It's the ones who are company men, care for only organizational matters, enforcers of every little man-made policy that tend to serve forever.

• flipper
    flipper

A good number of the elders I used to know while I was a JW years ago looked at themselves as " legends in their own mind " . Enamored with the position, power & control they wielded over rank & file JW's. And enamored with themselves.

I used to call some of them on their shit as well- as you might expect I was never appointed an elder due to voicing my opinion and for speaking out against injustices I was an eyewitness to in their actions.

My view of them ? They could sit on their thumb and rotate for all I cared. They caused enough pain for many lifetimes in my family

• TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin

99.99% of them are some combination of lazy, arrogant, pusillanimous, self-righteous, and dishonest.

That remaining 0.01% is mostly composed of brainwashed clowns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit