JW Policy Regarding "Marking" From The Nov 2016 WT

by JW_Rogue 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

I would like to mark the grass at the KH with my pee, sort of like what my cat does at home :-) However they do have deep pockets these kind of stunts could cost, not worth the risk...

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The org bases its "marking" dogma on 2 Thessalonians 3:6-14, which reads -

"In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers and sisters, to keep away from every believer who is idle and disruptive and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to offer ourselves as a model for you to imitate. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat." We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat. And as for you, brothers and sisters, never tire of doing what is good. Take special note [mark] of anyone who does not obey our instruction in this letter. Do not associate with them, in order that they may feel ashamed." (NIV)

The context of Paul's instruction shows that he was referring to lazy, work-shy parasites who were living off the work of others - not for the insidious reasons which the org claims.

Can't think of any modern-day parallels at the moment.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The GB won't be happy until all JWs shun everyone: non-JW family, colleagues, schoolmates, former JWs, plus everyone else in the congregation you can find fault with. In the end JWs will be reduced to embittered and self-righteous isolated individuals with no one else good enough to associate with.

• schnell
    schnell

2 Thessalonians is evidently a forgery anyway, because there is a disparity about the imminence of Jesus' second coming as stated in 1 Thessalonians, where Paul clearly believes he will see it himself:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (1 Thessalonians 4:17)

But, good luck explaining that to the true believers.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Before I married my wife, when just about everyone in the congregation knew that we were going to tie the knot, the loving elders call a speaker to give a talk in which my wife was called a STAIN in the congregation. She was never named, but the talk was directed to those dating worldly people. She was the only one doing that. Later, she was reproved because her older sister made up stuff about some sort of physical contact between us. Completely false. Good thing the circuit overseer was a reasonable man. In his visit, he asked the elders to remove the restrictions on my wife. The elders use that verse...the light get brighter... as an apology.

• carla
    carla

I wish to hell they would start marking and shunning people married to actual ubm's! then our jw's would find out just how 'loving' their so called 'friends' really are. Well, maybe there would be too many to shun?

It drives me mad when my jw refers to his 'friends', I want to tear my hair out and say, 'they are not your friends! friends love you unconditionally, no matter what goofy thing you choose to believe. Your friends are only 'friends' as long as you tow the jw line."....... sorry for the rant, a bit on edge lately.

• Listener
    Listener

They don't announce the person's name so that any Bro's or Sis's that are unaware of who it is still associate with that person. It makes a mockery of the marking arrangement.

• prologos
    prologos

They are cowards not to name the person. avoiding liability issues. and the stark light showing how terrible they really are. Did not Jesus advocate open judgements, before the whole congregation, and open disclosure as a means of reconsilliation rather than division? like: here it is, - deal with it as adults, Christians.

They name the person, but not the offence" XYZ is no longer a jw, " or

name the offence, but not the person,

in both cases not even the wt action: :

"we are marking," we are disfellowshipping, ". it is legalise.

• Alostpuppydog
    Alostpuppydog

Wow I had no idea about this. Studied with the witnesses for years off and on and this just adds to the platter of why I just couldn't see them as the 'tuth'. Very interesting... I wonder if talks I listened to on the past were ever mentioned about me now, because rumors were spreading so fast I couldn't keep up lol. So glad I am done with these white washed graves and hypocrites.

ALPD

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I view my marking as a badge of honour, its all quite stupid though as the markee is never formally informed he is marked, well at least I was'nt

In similar thought, to me their mark has no relevance in any way, shape or form. The only time I cared for anything they had to say was when they attempted to slander me, and I put those JW--its in their place. Other than that, they are just a big giant piece of nothing. They don't matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit