Do you talk differently now to non-Witnesses?

by compound complex 13 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

You, a JW:

"How're you doing, Mary?" Joe Witness asks the grocery clerk.

"Not so good, Joe. My family lost everything in the recent California wildfires."

"I'm really sorry, Mary. Did you know that God's kingdom will remove all causes for sorrow?"

"No, not really. There's quite a line, Joe. Let me check you out."

You, an ex-Witness:

"How're you doing, Mary?" Joe Witness asks the grocery clerk.

"Not so good, Joe. My family lost everything in the recent California wildfires."

"I'm really sorry, Mary. Is there a GoFundMe account I can add to?"

"Yes, Joe, there is! See me during my break and I'll tell you more."

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I don't sneak in my conversation with "We are living in the last days". Very open minded and practical conversations now.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

The "Friends" means something different now.

I don't go to "Gatherings" anymore.

I NEVER use the word "Spiritual" or "Jehober"

I also say - have a happy Thanksgiving, XMass, Holloween.....

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes, I do.

When I see witnesses now I ask how their non-JW or DF/inactive kids, spouse or family are. I mention each of them of them by name but only in the context of how they are doing as people nothing borg related at all.

You know the ones they never talk about and you're not supposed to ask about.

They look at me like "why are you asking about them for when you know they're NOT in the truth!" LOL.

Oh the horror! I'm a wicked woman.

• LV101
    LV101

Perfect, sparrow down! I always say something to the effect that the internet is the greatest gift to mankind EVER! Total silence/no comments. This was couple yrs. ago when they weren't allowed to even 'peek' online altho not much has changed except the cult's propaganda site. I must have made too many apostate comments because don't see much of those in-laws via my adult child anymore - fine by me. I made comment about God not blessing the Watchtower because of all the pedophilia horror -- that may have done it! Oops!

They can't accept reality.

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

First time in my life I've actually said "have a happy Thanksgiving" to a few people. Feels a bit strange saying it but sure feels good.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Most definitely, my best friend in the world is my female roommate (scandalous I know), I've wished many people a "Happy Birthday," and will soon be wishing them "Merry Christmas" as I celebrate these things for the first time in my life.

• undercover
    undercover

Anytime a JW uses a normal conversation to promote their version of 'god's kingdom', they're not sincere. It's a ploy to sell something.

I love this quote from the movie, 'The Big Kahuna' (I recommend the movie, despite it starring Kevin Spacey)

It doesn't matter whether you're selling Jesus or Buddha or civil rights or 'How to Make Money in Real Estate With No Money Down.' That doesn't make you a human being; it makes you a marketing rep. If you want to talk to somebody honestly, as a human being, ask him about his kids. Find out what his dreams are - just to find out, for no other reason. Because as soon as you lay your hands on a conversation to steer it, it's not a conversation anymore; it's a pitch. And you're not a human being; you're a marketing rep.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

COMPOUND COMPLEX:

When I started my "fade" many years ago I rid myself of Witness lingo with a vengeance!

I got in the habit of wishing people Happy Birthday, Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (it felt good to start saying these things after many years of not saying them).

I also say God bless you when somebody sneezes and I always say good luck whenever appropriate and on occasion clink glasses in a toast.

SPARROWDOWN:

When I run into JWs I always ask about their relatives who are out of the religion. Witnesses always make their non-Witness relatives out to sound like serial killers because they are not in the religion. Meanwhile, these people are frequently doing well.

• Jayk
    Jayk
    I consciously try to cuss less in front of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit