Where it all went wrong for the WT - JF Rutherford

by LoveUniHateExams 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gman2001
    Gman2001

The initial idea of the group to focus on prophecy instead of following Jesus.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I could use a shot of Miracle Wheat just about now

• Ding
    Ding

The WT started out wrong.

Russell was a false prophet.

Rutherford was worse.

He saw the failure of Russell's predictions and doubled down.

When he saw his own 1925 prediction fail, he just kept on going.

He disfellowshipped anyone who got in his way.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Pretty much sums it up Ding.

• Earnest
    Earnest

I earlier wrote that "the full transcript of the key hearing where Russell was cross-examined by George Staunton is not a matter of record", and that remains true. However vienne/Annie has provided a link to a partial transcript of the trial which may be of interest.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    ALL of the subsequent WT leaders and many of the R & F have followed in these footsteps that glorify ignorance, the uneducated and self-righteousness.

Sea Breeze has nailed it!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    You talk disparagingly about his theological training, but which theological school did the apostle Peter attend, or James or John

Ahem, Jesus himself.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Ha, that’s a good answer Ozzie.

I’d still point out there are various verses in the New Testament that indicate true Christians are not among the well educated. So pointing to Russell’s lack of education isn’t really an argument against him from a scriptural point of view.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the speech about the torture stake is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is God’s power. For it is written: “I will make the wisdom of the wise men perish, and the intelligence of the intellectuals I will reject.” Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this system of things? Has not God made the wisdom of the world foolish? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not get to know God through its wisdom, God was pleased through the foolishness of what is preached to save those believing. For the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks look for wisdom; but we preach Christ executed on the stake, to the Jews a cause for stumbling but to the nations foolishness. However, to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because a foolish thing of God is wiser than men, and a weak thing of God is stronger than men. For you see his calling of you, brothers, that there are not many wise in a fleshly way, not many powerful, not many of noble birth, but God chose the foolish things of the world to put the wise men to shame; and God chose the weak things of the world to put the strong things to shame; and God chose the insignificant things of the world and the things looked down on, the things that are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, so that no one might boast in the sight of God. But it is due to him that you are in union with Christ Jesus, who has become to us wisdom from God, also righteousness and sanctification and release by ransom, so that it may be just as it is written: “The one who boasts, let him boast in Jehovah.”

• Smiles
  • Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@ SlimBoyFat

The apostle Peter wasn't promoting ignorance and private interpretation of scripture as some sort of virtue. Peter writes in 2 Peter 3: 16 & 2 Peter 1: 20

"the unlearned and unstable distort, as they also do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction."

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit