“Do not gaze about!”

by slimboyfat 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Magnum
    Magnum

The change that I really don't like is their removal of "sheol" and "hades" and use of "grave" and whatever else they might have used. I liked the transliterations of "sheol" and "hades", and I think it was educational and enlightening to see and learn those original language words in their contexts. I think because of my exposure to the older NWT, I have a far greater grasp of the Biblical concept of what happens after death than newer JWs and most churchgoers. I've been talking with a few churchgoers lately and have found that they are clueless as to the original language words for "hell", etc., and can't defend their views with any authority at all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Malachi 3:10, another verse that was more elegant in the classic NWT version in my view:

Bring all the tenth parts into the storehouse, that there may come to be food in my house; and test me out, please, in this respect,” Jehovah of armies has said, “whether I shall not open to YOU people the floodgates of the heavens and actually empty out upon YOU a blessing until there is no more want.”

and in the revised 2013 NWT:

Bring the entire tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in my house; and test me out, please, in this regard,” Jehovah of armies says, “to see whether I will not open to you the floodgates of the heavens and pour out on you a blessing until there is nothing lacking.”
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There are many instances where I prefer the reading in the NWT that we grew up with, to the modern revised edition. It seems simplified and if they are true to form was designed more for ease of translation than accuracy.

I particularly dislike the revision to Micah 6: 8 , as noted above, and the wording that Jesus rode a donkey rather than an ass . That may just be me but it just seems wrong.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

It would be one thing if anyone on the RNWT committee had any training in Biblical or Greek, or hell, any real (from a university) training in translation in general, and could justify their rewording.

But the RNWT is, as best as I can piece together, a bunch of guys reviewing Fred Franz's 75-80 year old notes from the original NWT, and then brainstorming what "sounds better" in modern English, with a preference toward phrasing that is "easy to translate".

So you end up with a translation based on notes from an older translation based on one guy's (maybe two guys if Gangas was involved) intermediate understanding of Biblical languages.

• hoser
    hoser

Micah 6:8 and Malachi 3:10 were purposely translated in 2013 with a slant to promote more servitude to the governing body and set the stage for taking more of your money.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

SBF, after thinking about this and then coming back to it, perhaps the GB is setting it up to do not Gaze about like Lots Wife, she became a pillar of salt. Increasing the fear of dyeing because you are not performing at your peak. Do More! Do More! Do More! Pillar of Salt! Do More!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

FFGhost I just wanted to “hear hear!” from all the way in the back.

It turns my stomach that they had the nerve to replace “love kindness” with “cherish loyalty”.

Watchtower is about as subtle as a brick😒

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think they stuffed up there changing "do not gaze about " .They could use that wording to warn against looking on the internet about JW`s ,and only click on JW.Org .

I really dont see the point in them revising the Bible as they do ? To make more money ?

But the Bible is not the only thing they revise to their benefit .And that is their history

They are masters at changing the early history of the "International Bible Students Association" IBSA / Jehovah`s Witnesses .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    smiddy3 - "I really dont see the point in them revising the Bible as they do? To make more money?"

An important rule of thumb to remember... every decision the Org makes...

...every decision...

...is geared (to varying degrees) towards reinforcing the fiction of "God's Exclusive Earthly Organization".

Sure, money's a factor, but only insofar as it serves that overarching purpose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit