cleveland ohio RC notes

by nowwhat? 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains
    @ UnshackleTheChains. And, this whole time I was told by many brothers that it's allowable for brothers in Europe to grow beards bc it's their "custom" (unlike in the US). I'm quickly figuring out that their reasoning is a copout. It just seems brothers everywhere are realizing that there is nothing wrong with it! In our congregation, all but a few were completely fine with my growing a beard. They simply didn't see what the big deal was.

Hi Sandino,

The whole beard thing is a farce. Rutherford brought this rule into Bethel and it eventually permeated out through the whole organisation as what many of us believed to be an unwritten rule.

What amazes me is that for many years I believed this to be an unwritten rule when in actual fact it is a written rule. I managed to read the branch correspondence guidelines that basically instruct elders to not give privelages to any brother wearing a beard after having been admonished.

The elders encourage those wearing beards to read up on watchtower articles. Thankfully many brothers can see through this MAN MADE RULE and are making a firm statement that It is completely natural and normal for men to grow beards. It's a God given right.

• Sandino
    Sandino

@ UnshackleTheChains. I wonder given the "free will" the BORG preaches whether they'll ever openly allow beards. I had thought about the many immigrants coming into Europe and what are they being told when they SEE brothers with beards. I had even been told that some European brothers are giving substantial assignments on stage (I'm in the ministry school and find myself in front of the congregation on occasion). As in my case, I would imagine those that see me for the first time will have to reason things out in their little minds. Also, all those ultra conservative JW's who conduct studies with hairy people will have to explain things TRUTHFULLY, so as not to appear unreasonable. I've actually seen studies come to the meetings for months with facial hair and i LOVE it! Let's piss people off, I say!!

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

What amazes me is that for many years I believed this to be an unwritten rule when in actual fact it is a written rule. I managed to read the branch correspondence guidelines that basically instruct elders to not give privelages to any brother wearing a beard after having been admonished.

Reference??

In the 2007 version of the Correspondence Guidelines, I can find only one reference to beards, and that reference just references publicly available Watchtower and Awake magazines

Page 20: CLOTHING AND GROOMING

When replying to speciļ¬c inquiries on clothing and grooming, the following references in our publications may be helpful.

The wearing of a beard: g79 4/22 27-8; w75 8/15 500-501; w73 3/1 137-40.

Brothers wearing beards do have, and continue to have, congregational 'privileges' - not all congregations are the same.

• Sandino
    Sandino

@ darkspilver. I was "admonished" to read those same articles you reference, but i thought "You got to be kidding me! That's such an old article I can't do the mental math to figure out how old it is!!" + weren't we on our way INTO paradise according to the '75 prophecy? If I were at the helm of the WT ship at the time I would've said, "let's get this party started!! Clothing optional!! Unless you're physically ugly. In that case, keep your clothes on!

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

JW's seem to think beards are ok now. in the "Christian to decide" category.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit