"Cultivate Self-Control"

by mrssauk 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mrssauk
    mrssauk

This weeks Watchtower study (September 2017) about self-control states: "Clearly, people who lack self-control are causing problems for themselves and for others. And the problem of lacking self-control is worsening. Self-discipline was studied in the 1940’s, but recent studies have shown that people have become much worse at exercising self-discipline. This is no surprise to students of God’s Word because the Bible foretold that one evidence that we are living in “the last days” is that men would be “without self-control.”​—2 Tim. 3:1-3."

Does anyone know what studies is referred to, because I can't find anything...

• Half banana
    Half banana

Sorry I haven't got the information you want-- but what a lame headline the Wt comes up with "self discipline is getting worse".

Jehovah's Witnesses will be the first known people on earth to die from yawning!

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Do you know, there were times I would get so annoyed at the Watchtower's refusal to NAME quotes and references. Why would they not want us to look up anything?? It was so blatantly obvious that they would do all our thinking and research for us, and spoon feed it to us (at the proper time!) As a good little sheep, I tried to stay meek and humble and accept the direction and spiritual feeding program from "Jehovah's Organization" (ugh!) and so I (usually) accepted that we should trust our food implicitly... without question... (more ugh!)

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if those "studies" to which the WT is referring shows up or if they are merely going by their *own* "research" -- bias, experiences and anecdotes.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    "Clearly, people who lack self-control are causing problems for themselves and for others.

Yeah. S'pose so.

And the problem of lacking self-control is worsening.

Is it? Where's their evidence?

Self-discipline was studied in the 1940’s, but recent studies have shown that people have become much worse at exercising self-discipline.

Any idea which studies these are? I looked at their rag but couldn't see any refs.

This is no surprise to students of God’s Word because the Bible foretold that one evidence that we are living in “the last days” is that men would be “without self-control.”

Like all the child abusers in the organisation?

There it is, 'last days(tm)' doom and gloom mongering again.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said punk! (Nice new avatar again too mate!)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    stucky - Well said punk! (Nice new avatar again too mate!)

Why, thank you kind citizen.

I looked at the tinternet but couldn't find any 'studies' from the 1940s about self control.

Amazing how you can't contact WBT$ on their website to ask. Imagine asking one of the eldubs, they'd most likely be clueless.

• steve2
    steve2

The Watchtower has a well worn habit of quoting or citing studies without references. Readers are unable to follow up on the claimed studies. But yes, it would be interesting to know what the research involved so we could tell what aspects of self-control are involved.

• sparky1
    sparky1

There was an experiment done with children in the 1940's on self regulation. I don't know who did the experiment but it is referenced in a report done on NPR in 2008. Interestingly enough, the experiment was replicated in 2001. Could WATCHTOWER and it's scholarly writers be taking another scientific study out of context and viewing the results through their own 'colored lenses'?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19212514

• steve2
    steve2

Could WATCHTOWER and it's scholarly writers be taking another scientific study out of context and viewing the results through their own 'colored lenses'?

More than likely, I'd say! With regards to the 'colored lenses', it would be more appropriate to call them 'discolored lenses'.

The word 'tendentious' aptly describes what Watchtower writers do with unreferenced studies and research: Anything to further their biased ends.

• mrssauk
    mrssauk

Thanks Sparky1 - seems to be the most logical study.

Steve2 - Always out of context and never give your sources... 😏

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit