Are Bethelites Buying and Preparing their own Food?

by TakeOffTheCrown 37 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Bethelites got the menu in advance. They would take leftovers after the meals and put them in the fridge in their room. They would then eat in their room (married couples especially) heating up things. No every food people like was offered at bethel or something you hated like liver, then they might buy some food (liitle canteen to buy from at Bethel). Many rooms now have stoves, and before toaster ovens, convection ovens, etc.

Is the WTS providing food for breakfast, lunch, (dinner) is what I would ask. Bethelites have been cooking in their rooms for some time.

• sir82
    sir82

I also seem to recall something about buffet style for their meals? I don't know how that works with eating breakfast in your own room though. Maybe the buffet is for lunch & dinner?

I know the laundry service is going away. Everybody will have to wash their own clothes.

I think the cleaning service is going away too. Everyone will have to clean their own rooms.

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown
    Is the WTS providing food for breakfast, lunch, (dinner) is what I would ask.

Good question Blondie.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I was told meals are now served cafeteria-style. The food has been prepared in the kitchen and each person gets their own on a tray. I don't know if people just wander in, get their food, eat and leave without any specific time to be in the dining room to hear prayer. I'll try to find out more.

I would think buying food to make three meals a day in a store or even in the Bethel commissary would be cost-prohibitive for Bethelites on the meager allowance they get so that's why it's provided already cooked. And there's no time for Bethelites to cook their own meals, especially lunch. When there isn't a mid-week meeting, certainly Bethelites can prepare their own supper in the room - I did - but if they choose to, which the young guys will do, the Bethel cafeteria will be open offering a light supper. (That's what I heard.)

• TakeOffTheCrown
    TakeOffTheCrown

I also seem to recall something about buffet style for their meals? I don't know how that works with eating breakfast in your own room though. Maybe the buffet is for lunch & dinner?

I know the laundry service is going away. Everybody will have to wash their own clothes.

I think the cleaning service is going away too. Everyone will have to clean their own rooms.

These are very interesting times for the Bethelites.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Are Bethelites Buying and Preparing Their Own Food?

Not bloody likely! Maybe what SIR82 said (and Barbara), that they would have to spoon it up for themselves off of a buffet and schlep it back to their rooms, but I can't imagine they will have a couple thousand people doing their own cooking in their rooms. I don't know what the layout is for the residence rooms in Warwick, but I'll bet their room kitchens are more like a pantry than anything you could actually cook in. Of course they could rip it all out and redo everything with full kitchens for each room at a cost of about $50 million! That seems about right...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    So the will have to clean their own clothes. Yes, back to living in the ''real world''. Having to wash your own clothes like the majority of the working class. Almost everyone has to.
  • cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Bkfs in their rooms but not room service. Lunch is now self service.

Laundry, wash your own shit.

Room, clean all your shit yourself.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Wives doing all the cleaning, cooking and laundry? Huh? Is this 1918? or 1960? Bethel wives work at Bethel just as hard as their husbands do!
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

January 2, 2015—Residence C

One of four sample rooms. Members of the headquarters staff have begun selecting their individual residences. Although some of the furniture and appliances shown here will not be installed in the residences, furnished sample rooms help staff members to see how completed rooms might be laid out and decorated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit