Kids ... and baptism.

by Tallon 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Chook
    Chook

This is the subject I hate the most of the Jw church, these poor kids conned into a permanent binding contract with no get out of jail card. This is exactly where the family destruction begins with the water dunking. We can only sit back and watch these families self destruct.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Steve2 - quote "Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man."

I thought that was Aristotle and adopted by the Jesuits?

But the principle is one WT follows for sure as there is a similar idea in... proverbs? Something about "Train up a boy according to his way and he will not depart from it."

• steve2
    steve2

Yes, you're right sparrowdown.

Aristotle first coined the complete saying, while centuries later the Jesuits perfected the practice of early indoctrination (largely through rote learning and severe punishment for breaking rules) and it then became a more widespread saying about 'getting in early' with Catholic dogma so that it sticks with children as they become older to reduce the likelihood they would be at risk of developing their 'own' minds.

It echoes the Biblical sentiment, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it" (Proverbs 22:6)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I suspect this recent phenomenon might be starting to get to my (nonetheless loyal) JW mom.
  • Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

It always makes me sick to my heart to think our grandchildren might be baptized at 9 or 10 of age. What ever happen to the teaching the parents through their obedience would save their children from armagdon? This was just another reason I woke up and left the Borg. Still Totally ADD

• Moster
    Moster

I was 14. It was the summer of 1975. Need I say more?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit