Open discussion on "Spiritual Intelligence"

by Fernando 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Fernando
    Fernando

It was a surprise to learn that there are quite a number of SI books, and SI tests, out there.

What are your thoughts on SI?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I've never heard of it Fernando. Can you tell me more about it? Similar to emotional intelligence?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Yes, I suppose similar to IQ and EQ in that it is understood to be a type of intelligence which can be measured and which determines behaviour and outcomes in life and business.

I found 297,000 hits when searching Google.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Whilst different definitions may appeal to different persons, I imagine most of us prefer the company of persons who have transcended their self-centered "ego self" and whose mindset and behaviour is other-centered and driven by their "higher self".

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes self-centered people are difficult I agree. Why didn't you enlarge on your OP Fernando.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

My thoughts are that it sounds like an oxymoron....like freezer burn, or jumbo shrimp.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Are you phobic about words problemaddict? Spiritual can mean art, music, poetry.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Does spiritual intelligence determine one's ability to convince people to believe absurd things by making impossible assertions/promises about the afterlife?

Or is it just the ability to spin a satisfying load of BS to explain things without actually bothering to do due diligence and come up with a real explanation?

• fukitol
    fukitol

The word 'spiritual' has so many negative connotations and provocative meanings associated with 'religion', that whoever coined the term SI simply wasn't very intelligent, or it was coined by a secret Christian with a hidden agenda towards conversion.

I think 'moral and ethical intelligence' is much better..

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Definitions of spiritual intelligence rely on the concept of spirituality as being distinct from religiosity.[8]

Danah Zohar defined 12 principles underlying spiritual intelligence:[9]

• Self-awareness: Knowing what I believe in and value, and what deeply motivates me.
    • Spontaneity: Living in and being responsive to the moment.
    • Being vision- and value-led: Acting from principles and deep beliefs, and living accordingly.
    • Holism: Seeing larger patterns, relationships, and connections; having a sense of belonging.
    • Compassion: Having the quality of "feeling-with" and deep empathy.
    • Celebration of diversity: Valuing other people for their differences, not despite them.
    • Field independence: Standing against the crowd and having one's own convictions.
    • Humility: Having the sense of being a player in a larger drama, of one's true place in the world.
    • Tendency to ask fundamental "Why?" questions: Needing to understand things and get to the bottom of them.
    • Ability to reframe: Standing back from a situation or problem and seeing the bigger picture or wider context.
    • Positive use of adversity: Learning and growing from mistakes, setbacks, and suffering.
    • Sense of vocation: Feeling called upon to serve, to give something back.

• https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_intelligence

• Yes looking at some of the definitions on the Wiki page I would suggest some synonyms for spiritual would be deep thinking, rather than shallow. Also ethical as fukitol said. Having integrity rather than moral cowardice.

• Also an advocate of personal growth. Someone who cares about others and the future of the planet. A big picture person. Having a sense of this is our home to take care of for our very survival rather than I must own stuff or I'm nobody. A feeling that we're all in this together and we need each other.

I can actually see the need for a phrase to describe all this and personally using spiritual intelligence doesn't offend me anymore than the word Jehovah does. They're just words. Being word phobic is a psychological problem. Get over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit